Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TIMESYNC-5.15-62 .... Ever seen this error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkh

MIS
Dec 29, 1999
US
We recently installed a NW 5 server. We are receiving the following error:<br>
<br>
01-28-2000 9:00:33 TIMESYNC-5.15-62<br>
Timesync has been lost after 90 successful polling loops<br>
<br>
Followed by this message:<br>
<br>
01-28-2000 9:00:51 TIMESYNC-5.15-63<br>
Timesync has been established.<br>
<br>
This is not the first time we have seen this msg, and it seems to get closer and closer together, we did end up taking the server off our network for a period of time because we thought it was causing other problems. We just put it back in the tree last night and have received this msg 2x so far. I can't find anything on Novell's site referring to this msg...has anyone ever seen it before??<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
Leslie<br>
CFCU

This is a Time synchronization error. It is caused when the servers time is not current with the other servers in your tree. The servers continually update time with each other to keep the NDS in sync.

Thanks...I realized that, do you have any idea how to fix the problem? From what I have read it seems to point to the hardware for network...I just don't know where to begin. Also someone mentioned the IDE drivers could cause timesync errors...ever heard of that??<br>

So far Novell is saying that it is a &quot;cosmetic&quot; error message - in other words, they haven't fixed it yet but don't worry about it. And re IDE drives, you really shouldn't be using them on an active server. Best to be SCSI or RAID. Anyway, for additional info on IDE and timesync, go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> and put 10023130 in the search box.

It does usually point to interruption of communication between novell servers, assuming you have more than one server. A bad cable is first place to check. Second is the NIC installed in the server, [are the drivers up to date?]. Third, is there chatter such that another PC is hogging the net. You might try making another server the timesynch source, sometimes the problems are not symmetrical.<br>
<br>
Synthetic time is bad only to the degree of how far out of synch replicas become. Changing options for users may not be propagated to other servers in a timely way. You might use a packet sniffer program to show you traffic at the times the messages occur. After getting handle on the cause of the interruption, be sure to run dsrepair on all the servers to clean up accumulated errors.<br>
<br>

Yes, I Have this on two different networks. Does not seem to cause any real problem on eather network, so for now just ignoring it for now.<br>
richard

Do you have the latest service pack installed? Sp6a besides resolving licensing issues - also tackles time sync problems. Good Luck. Make sure you run dsrepair prior to installing the service pack and that you have a valid back up.

If you have a PIII server and any IDE devices (CD ROM drives included)you might try the patch addressed with TID 2958591. I still see the timesync messages, but not as often since applying the path.

I also receive this message. The Timesync server is local to me here and I receive the error from two of our remote locations. I also get error 625 &quot;Unable to communicate with server..&quot; something like that.

We have the latest service packs installed. We have had a lot issues with our print queues loosing connection but we just installed the NDPS update.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

I have a single time source server in our WAN that polls an atomic clock on the Net. Whenever it becomes more that 10 seconds off it syncs to the atomic clock then communicates the new time to the rest of the servers in the WAN. When that happens the time syncronization is lost temporarily on each server while it syncs to the new time. On a network where the time source becomes different than another server (for what ever reason) the other servers will try to sync to that new time. Before I used the atomic clock it was a rare occurance happening to different servers at different times. Now it happens reguarly (once or twice a day) to all the servers at the same time. Because the time change is very small (10 sec) they sync very quickly. The WAN links can also play a part if the links are slow or noisy. It is more of an informative error than a problem. My network (NDS health) has been more stable since I started using an atomic clock. I have it poll a list of 3 different sites in case a site is congested or down, works very well.

This has reduced the 625 errors so that most times when received it has been a WAN link/congestion problem. If you run dsrepair>Time Syncronization do you get 625 errors? Or do you get on the console? Have you run dstrace? If so with what results? If you haven't, try this:(on console)

set dstrace=ON (activates trace screen)
set dstrace=+S (shows syncronization on trace screen)
set dstrace=*H (initiates syncronization between file servers)

Goto the dstrace screen, if there are no errors there will be a line eventually displaying &quot;All processed = YES&quot;. You should see it for each partition contained on the server.

You can have the info written to a file by using these commands:

set TTF=ON (sends dstrace screen to sys:system\dstrace.dbg file,
can be viewed in any text editor)
set dstrace=*R (resets file to 0 bytes)
set TTF=OFF (once NDS has completed syncronizing all partions)

You can then open file and search for -6 (any NDS errors during sync) or YES (show successful sync for partition).

Good luck,

Mark ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back