Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timer query..

Status
Not open for further replies.

PANTLORD

Programmer
Aug 28, 2001
EU
Hi there,

Apologies little experience with timers in PB so bear with me.. Basically my aim is to have blinking text in a static text control on a form.

I can handle this fine with a few instance variables and the forms' timer event for any form events.

The issue arises when I also want the blinking text to respond to the click of a button on the form which executes several actions within a database. At this point though I set the instance variables correctly to cause the blinking effect it doesn't happen.

A co-worker suggested that this may be because the precedence of the forms' timer event is below that of the button events, thus after the button is clicked the blinking code contained in the forms' timer event isn't effected til the button clicked event is finishedand hence there are no blinks - does this make sense ?

Any ideas how to side step without having to use datawindows or anything too complicated ?

Thanks in advance
Mully

What version of powerbuilder are you running? if you are running 7.0 or above you can use an animated gif and get away from the timer all together... your processing power is better used elsewher...

I'm using PBB 7 at the minute soon to be 9. Is there any trick to using a gif in PB7 ?

Thanks,

No trick in using .gif in Powerbuilder (at least not in PB 8-10). Just show a picture object with file.gif assigned

Arnold

if you using a gif in INPB8?when you executes several actions within a database eg: datawindow retrieve,the gif will actionless until datawindow retrieve ended,so you may write script "Yield" in the datawindow's retrieverow event

my english is poor ,i'm from china , nice to meet eventy one in Tek-tips,:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back