Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout using iPrint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonze

MIS
Sep 12, 2002
US
Due to a physical move of the entire organization, we have recently added iPrint capability to all our existing queue based printers. Everything seems to work well, except for one vertical application.

In order to print a report, this application asks the user to select a printer, then enter the report parameters. The program then searches its database and prints the report. Depending on the parameters, this can take from a few seconds to several minutes.

If the user selects an iPrint connection, reports with a short processing time will print, but long running reports will fail. If the user selects the same printer, but uses an icon that is connected to a print queue, there are no problems.

Is there some kind of timeout built into iPrint? I have not found anything so far. Is there any way to adjust or work around this?

Thanks

I'm a little confused on your setup. Did you setup iPrint printers and set them up to service the print queues?

Are you still printing to the queues or straight to the iPrint printers.?

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

To clarify: at this point in time, we are running both systems in parallel.

The NDS print objects and the print queues still exist, and the printers are still set up to function as Print Servers. If a user has a printer icon pointing to a print queue, it will still work.

We have also set up a Broker and Manager, and configured iPrint printers for each of the physical printers. These printers are configured to print via IPP, not through the print queues. We have rolled out the iPrint client to the workstations, created maps, and our Help Desk has been working with users to convert. I would estimate that at least 90% of our jobs are going through iPrint.

New thought: it occurred to me in preparing this response that the timeout could be in the printer firmware.

Thus far, I have found a TCP timeout, but my first test with it was unsuccessful.

I guess I should add to this. There is a timeout setting that has a default of 15 minutes. It seems extreme that you are exceeding that, so that's why I ask.

To get to that setting, go to the NDPS Manager on the server console, select the printer - Enter.. Then either COnfigure or Information and you'll see a setting that can be changed.

I'm not sure if that setting is located anywhere else, like iManager.. I've never had to change it.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back