Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout Expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punce

Programmer
Mar 1, 2002
GB
Hi.

We've just started to have an intermittent problem with our asp/sql2k db.

It works fine most of the time, but then it can kick us out for spells, then fix itself.

The error page we get is:

"HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
/ac/include/dbconnection.asp, line 54"

Could someone help a techie (not a programmer) out? tia

you can do either of the following...

1) put this line on your asp page:

Server.ScriptTimeout = 30

i.e we are setting 30 seconds timeout...you can increase it to whatever you want to see if your page runs without any errors...

2) you can also increase the script timeout time in your IIS manager...just check in your IIS admin settings and you will find an option which says "Script timeout"

-DNG

Hi,

I've just gone into IIS and clicked on the [configuration] button on the Virtual Directory tab and under Options the ASP Script Timeout is set to 120 seconds.

Oh, look at this:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

It was the database that timed out, not the ASP.

If it worked before but not now... and you are SURE that nothing changed in your ASP ... then perhaps the database server is slower than it used to be... perhaps it is under an increased workload and that is slowing it down?

Aaaaah.

Something we did on the database server actually was to change the IP address.

You think there might be something in the code somewhere pointing to the wrong IP or something? But why is it intermittent. hmmm.

Thanks Sheco. You put me on the right tracks and I managed to solve the problem :))))

I went down the IP adress thinking and I tried the 1st obvious thing, which is try to ping the database server from the web server, and it couldn't find it! A few tweaks in DNS later...

I'm a happy bunny.

Thanks again Sheco

THE END

So the same page works sometimes but not others?

Yeah that's what totally threw me, it would work most of the time, then a phonecall "It's gone again". It would be down for about 10 - 30 mins, then it would be up again for a lengthy period.

Totally confused me!>!

Check the event log on the machine running MSSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back