Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout Expired with ADO connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vedicman

Programmer
Sep 5, 2003
US
I am getting a "Timeout Expired" error while running the following connection in an XL code module:

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;User ID=sa; " & _
"Data Source=NetSupport"
cn.ConnectionTimeout = 0
cn.Open

......code to create the SQL string goes here

Set myRs = New ADODB.Recordset
With myRs
.ActiveConnection = cn
.CursorType = adOpenStatic
.LockType = adLockOptimistic
.Open (strSQL)
End With

The error is thrown on the .Open (strSQL) line.
The Server is obviously ignoring the ConnectionTimeout setting. Does anyone have a solution.

FYI: the query runs OK in the SQL Query Analyzer

Thanks.....Franco

I think perhaps you should be using a non-zero ConnectionTimeOut and then use CommandTimeout for the SQL Command.
Though I'm not sure I understand when you say:

>The Server is obviously ignoring the ConnectionTimeout setting.

Oh sorry - zero means indefinite wait. So maybe it is connecting ok but timing out on the SQL - hence perhaps use a Command object to execute the SQL and set CommandTimeout property to zero.

Something along these lines perhaps:

Dim SQLCommand As New ADODB.Command
Dim rsDat As ADODB.Recordset
Dim SqlCmdTxt as string
SqlCmdTxt="SELECT...."
With SQLCommand
.CommandType = adCmdText
.CommandText = SqlCmdTxt
.ActiveConnection = cn
.CommandTimeout = 0
Set rsDat = .Execute(RecsFound)
End With

Thanks Glasgow

Yeah, it's connecting OK but the query is not finishing. (It takes about 3 minutes to run because the tables on the SQL server are not properly indexed and normalized..I have no control of server tables). Later in my code, I need to paste the results of the query into the spreadsheet, which is why I am using a recordset object. If you know how to do that with a command object please show me a code snippet.

Thanks......Franco

We may have cross-posted but my previous post shows the general approach and uses a recordset. I think it should work!

I really must be half asleep. I pasted code and modified to reflect your scenario.

.Execute should be enough - you don't need the RecsFound parameter.

Glasgow

You are more awake than you think you are, but you must be a bit psychic. You posted your code example WHILE I was requesting you to post it. With the minor modification of using my already declared variables instead of yours, the code runs fine...no timeout error. I then tried my old code and got the timeout error again, so it appears that your code really did solve the problem. You earned a star!

Thanks......Franco

Thanks. The crystal ball and tarot cards come in handy sometimes - every programmer should have them.

Just along similar lines, I've got a stored proc sitting in SQL svr 2000 and when I run it from my VB6 code, it pulls 365 records from the tables and then hits the timeout expired error. Anyway I can get around this as I am not using a recordset where I can set the timeout ?

Thanks

are you using a command object?

You can use a command object without returning a recordset...

You may get more help if you post some code!

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Will this help ?

Option Explicit

'Connections
Public PCis As New ADODB.Connection

Private Command1.click
dim SQL as string

SQL = " Exec PCis.dbo.portcis_getbdastatement_statementsdb '200312'"
'StatementHistory.Execute SQL
PCis.Execute SQL
end sub

Private Sub Form_Load()

Set Form1.PCis = Nothing
PCis.Open "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Server=hqcsql02\hqcsql02;" & "Database=Portcis;Trusted_Connection=Yes"

End Sub

Look at Glasgows code above

Code:
  Dim SQLCommand As New ADODB.Command
  Dim SqlCmdTxt as string

SqlCmdTxt="Exec PCis.dbo.portcis_getbdastatement_statementsdb '200312'"
  With SQLCommand
    .CommandType = adCmdText
    .CommandText = SqlCmdTxt
    .ActiveConnection =  PCis
    .CommandTimeout = 0
    .Execute
  End With
'tidy up 
set sqlCommand = nothing

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

It may also be worth noting that many ODBC drivers hold a enable/disable connection timeout property. I'm not sure if the code would overide this if your ODBC driver WAS set to enable timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back