Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timeout expired problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

taval

Programmer
Jul 19, 2000
GB
I have a asp script that allows the user to delete certain customer records, there is a large amount of customer records. When I run a query to delete the customer records I get the following error:

-------------------------------------------
Database Errors Occured
Delete From FileDescription WHERE CustId=49

Error #-2147217871

Error desc. -> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
-------------------------------------------

I have set the ASP script timeout on the ISS server to 300 seconds but even then I get this message before even getting anywhere near 300 seconds.

Why does this happen? How can I prevent it from happening?

Grateful for any help given
Thanks.

It is not the timeout of the asp but of the odbc connection. Simply go to your DSN-ODBC administration page (on win2000 under administrative tools --> data sources). In the advanced configuration of your DSN-connection you can set the timeout of the database connection.

Mike..

Dear Mike,

I go to the ODBC data sources administrator under Windows NT, when I click on an access db (system DSN) I can get to a screen to configure the timeout. The database I'm using is SQL however, when I go to configure this, I get to a sort-of configure wizard but I can find no timeout setting option. Colud you tell me exactly where to go to set the timeout period?

Thanks.

Taha

Taval,
here's the article from SQL Server Books Online :

How to set a time limit for remote queries (Enterprise Manager)
To set a time limit for remote queries

1.Expand a server group.
2.Right-click a server; then click Properties.
3.Click the Connections tab.
4.Under Remote server connections in the Query time-out (sec) box, select a value from 0 through 2,147,483,647 to set the maximum number of time, in seconds, that Microsoft® SQL Server™ will wait for a remote query to be processed before timing out.
5.[red]The default value of 0 prevents SQL Server from timing out[/red].

There's one more thing - permissions; even when I tried to perform the step 2 on a server where I wasn't a member of sysadmin role, I was getting messages that access to this feature is denied, so you need to have those permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back