Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timed Shutdown Screen Saver 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn9999

Programmer
Jun 19, 2004
US
I'll share this in case anyone might find it useful.

Timed Shutdown Screen Saver

It runs whatever screen saver you configure, and then after the configured time, it will do an action that you configure (Shutdown, Hibernate, Stand by, Logoff, Poweroff, Black Screen)

Any constructive comments are welcome in this thread.

Can it be configured to hibernate for, say 15 hours on weekdays (from when I leave work till should get back to the office). Hibernate is great except that it is indefinite.

I've only seen this feature on some old Dell laptops - they will switch on at a specified time on weekdays.

That would have to be a system BIOS function and not software. Once a hibernate is completed, the computer will shut down (at least for what I've seen, it will). The point of hibernate is more to save the state of the memory before shutdown than anything to do with a power-up (which would have to be BIOS related and not software related).

I did a revision of this software:

Download here.

Changes:
0.2: Fixed defaults for screen saver name for Windows ME - maybe other 9X systems?
0.2: Wrote check so screen saver will not run & warn of problems if someone tries to run it as a logon screen saver. Windows, as far as I'm aware from my testing, does not allow the application permissions necessary to do any of the configured actions beyond "log off" and "black screen". This makes it effectively useless in function under Win Logon.
0.2: Added option to turn off the monitor as a screen saver action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back