Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timed out error when report returns more than 100000 cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambo2292468

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2004
US
Hi,

I am aware of the I-server 100,000 cell limit for export and 32,000 row limit for I-server but something strange happend that when we try running the report and if the report returns more than this limit it gives error as Timed -out on web browser.

Anybody aware of this is this a bug or there is some workaround ?

Thanks
Rahsmi

Could you rephrase your question, if I understood correctly you are saying it hit the 100k limit and timed out, which it should.

Hi Iolaper,

I get timeout error when I run from the web browser sometime.

With the same selection, I can run the report from desktop without any issues.

I also compare the sql generate from desktop and web browser and they are matching.

Here is how I understand the report works:

From web browser ---> networks ---> web server--->network--> I-server--> network--> teradata server and then it send the data back with the path teradata server ---> network-->I-server ---> network ---> web server --> network --> web browser. Everything is ok on the way back (the job complete on I- server); however, it stuck from sending to web server. Our Administrator did some investigation and found out the selection that I selected return too much data (about 13,000 rows with about 35 columns total) so the I-server runs out of space/memory. So, it sends a message to web server regarding about timeout error and I can see it on the web browser.

My question for you all is if you see this timeout type of issue.If so, do you have any tips to work around this?

There is only one work-around solution that I have to ask my customer to narrow down the report by using some filters on the report. However, my customer is not happy with this solution.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Rambo.

First only change the timeout setting in your Web administrator and ONLY if it does not work then change the heapsize.

There is also a setting in the machine.config file. Default is 90 seconds. You can refer to TN5600-750-1010.

pp

Hi Eoloper and Pp

About these setting I am aware and we already have the following setting and still getting error:

#1: Web timeout is currently set to 3600 seconds:
#2 JVM Heapsize is currently set to 850MB

Any comment on this??

PP: based on what we can select right setting i mean as you said default is 90 but it should be chnaged to what ? I am not sure about this setting.

Be careful with setting JVM Heap size too high. It can cause your web server to be unable to start.

Also check Microstrategy/Web ASPx/Web.config file, for the executionTimeout setting inside the httpRuntime node, you may need to change the executionTimeout in the web.config file. This is because Web.config file controls the specific web application while machine.config file controls the ASP.NET application in general. Therefore, if same setting exists in both machine.config and web.config, then the value in web.config file will take precedence. I guess the best thing to do is to start with a setting that you think may alleviate the problem and test until you no longer receive the error. You can check your web log files to see if it gives you which setting may be timing out.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

We chnaged machine.config file from Default is 90 to 600 but issue didnt get resolved. Yes but I did not chnage Web.config should i change that too.

Thanks
Rambo

I would try and change your web.config file to 600 as well.

p.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back