Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timed files??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltoque

Technical User
Jan 12, 2002
US
I don't know if this is possible or not and if it is, it seems it may be a bit out of my leaugue but here it goes:

I have a database in Access 97.
Multiple users. It is set up with records on a continuous form and when a person on the team goes in to work on an item, they select their name from the drop down box, this way everyone else knows someone is already working it. When they work the item there is a seperate drop down box that they can select the action taken and then either change it back so another person in the group can work it further sometime down the road or, if they complete it, they can just keep it in their name.
What often happens is team members (despite numerous requests to watch this) will sometimes take one in their name and then do nothing with it. Now it is sitting in their name so noone thinks to look at it and there are cases where it "disappears" from our radar because we assume it is assigned and being worked.
I am looking to place a "timer" of sorts on the records where if the action drop down does not change after ...say an hour...it will automaticly switch back to the team designation so somone else can pick it up. Or better yet...if I could put a check box to indicate a record for them to keep and if THAT is not checked it would revert to the team designation after about an hour or even at the ned of the day would be acceptable.
Right now I am going in and checking each one and assigning them back out but that is terribly time consuming.
Is there any solution for this?
My Access skills are acceptable but by no means Pro level.
Even just telling me it's not possible will be appreciated.
Thank you.

I would say yes....this can be done....

Your check box thingy is the way to go.....what you need to do is create a procedure that goes to the appropriate table, and check to see if the assigned field is not equal to team....if it is not equal, then check the check box. If false, the set the assigned field back to team...if it is true, leave it alone.

On your main form, or on something that is always open (perhaps on a hidden form that opens with the database), using the forms OnTimer event, call the sub, and set the TimerInterval to 60000 (one hour).

As long as someone has the db open, every hour the db will fire this bit of code and reset any assigned field without a checkbox in the keep field back to user...

Let me know if you would like and I can put together an example....just don't expect it today as it is about 0-beer-thirty here.... Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Albert Einstein)

Robert L. Johnson III, MCSA, CNA, MCP, Network+, A+
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

This sounds interesting.
I would like to see what you mean when you get a chance.

Like I mentioned...my skils are "Fair" but I have done pretty good at reading and understanding codes.

Thank you!!

OKay....I put something togethe for you.....send me an email to the address in my sig block and I will forward it out.

It actually turned out to be easier to do with a simple update query and the form timer....I'll provide full details in the eamil. Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Albert Einstein)

Robert L. Johnson III, MCSA, CNA, MCP, Network+, A+
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back