Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time zone will not change

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdsmith

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2000
US
Visit site
Having problems on a 5.0.7 server the Time zone is stuck on GMT I can not seem to get it to change.

I have checked /etc/TIMEZONE and it is set to
TZ='CST6CDT'
export TZ

which should be correct

I have checked the /etc/initscript

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
export PATH

HZ=100
export HZ

[ -x /etc/TIMEZONE ] && . /etc/TIMEZONE

umask 027

LEVEL=$3
export LEVEL

When I attempt to set the value useing scoadmin it reports a missing environment variable TZ and exits the sub routine

checking the environment with env show there is no TZ variable

if I TZ=CST6CDT;export TZ then scoadmin lets me run through the timezone change, but next reboot of server and its back to GMT

also ran through the tz command with the same results Time zone is changed only until the system is taken down.

Is /etc/TIMEZONE executable ?
You may try this:
chmod ugo+rx /etc/TIMEZONE

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Yes it executable, I went ahead and tried the chmod on it and it did not work...

Problem seems to be with the export of the TZ variable, what I cant seem to find is where it is where TIMEZONE is called from

I was assuming it was in initscript but am not sure.
I was digging through the ?.d folders in etc looking for clues but cant seem to find anything.

where TIMEZONE is called from
/etc/bcheckrc
/etc/initscript
/etc/pwr/sys/pwrscript
/etc/shutdown

It is created/modified by the /etc/tz script.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Well, it is now fixed, not sure what I did (late night) but here are some of the things I did

I made a file call S51timetest with the TZ= and export commands in it then placed in rc2.d and rebooted
when it came up the timezone was still had changed to PSTPDT (as reported by env ) the TIMEZONE file however still had CST6CDT I did a new export of TZ then went to time manager in scoadmin time was 6 hours out, so changed to correct time, ran through timezone change for grins (not expecting any good results) rebooted and all was working!, removed the S51timetest file from rc2.d and rebooted about 3 more times so far so good.

thanks for your replys.

Problem only half fixed?

Seems now that all times on the lan (i.e. serial devices and telnet sessions) are correct.

The times given users over the wan, coming in via SSH2, are still in GMT. As the time the user modified the files is of importance to the customer this is presenting a problem.

Does SSH not read the same need some additional information configured for the user?

I have an identical setup to this at 5 other locations and this is the first time I have encountered this error..

The only difference I can see between the sites is that this server was recently upgraded from 5.0.6 using openssh downloaded from openssh.com to 5.0.7 useing the builtin ssh. ALL the other servers were either upgrades from 5.0.4 (all serial) or fresh installs of 5.0.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back