Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time to buy a new video card...opinions on a wallett friendly card 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaxted

Vendor
Jun 16, 2002
CA
Well it's that time again to buy a new video card, though I am really cheap so I was wondering what the best budget video card is...here is what I am looking at. 1) GeForce 4 mx-440SE 64 mb 2) GeForce 4 ti-4200 128 mb (a bit to pricey for me) 3)ATI Radeon 9100 128 mb 4) ATI radeon 9000 128 mb 5)GeForce FX 5200 128 mb... I was wondering if anyone has any opinions or ideas on what I should get or could recommend any other budget video card. Thanks

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

For a budget video card, I've always liked Sapphire's board based off a Radeon 7000 w/ 32meg DDR RAM & excellent tv-out features for <$35. It's not going to win you any Quake tournaments, but it's certainly more than ready to handle 2D applications.

If I were going for a budget gaming card, of those above, I'd still choose the ti-4200, it'll top a Radeon 9500 in performance; and the FX 5200 definately lags behind them. The 4200 even beats out the FX 5600!

Thanks Dakota...im not as cheap as a radeon 7000 board but I wasn't too sure about the Radeon 9000 boards are they any good???
Is the GeForce 4 MX-440 64 mb board better?

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

&quot;Another day, another problem&quot;

Personally, I'd go for the GeForce 4 MX-440 on a budget. My neighbor has one and it rocks!

Cheers

Thx to all who respond ;)

Because of the budget price you stated, you could find a 64mb version of the GF4 4200Ti, usually $20-$30 cheaper than a 128mb card.
GF4 MX440's are OK but you must make sure you purchase a DDR version (more than twice as quick as an SDram version)
Slightly more sophisticated Radeon 9000, just slightly better performing than a DDR GF4 MX440 but could cost 50% more?
FX5200 but I have a feeling you will be paying through the nose for one of these for a couple of months yet (again faster than a GF4 MX440 with DirectX 9.0 support)
Radeon 9500, very nice! but might be too pricey and not quite as quick as a GF4 4200Ti (although the PRO version is)
Alot of this depends on it's use but for gaming I wouldn't recommend anything less than a GF4 MX440 DDR or Radeon 9000 and would go higher if budget allows (64mb GF4 4200Ti)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks for the help..Does anybody know if the Ge Force FX 5200 is any good?

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Replacement for the GF4 MX440 I have heard that it is slightly quicker and has support for DirectX 9.0 only thing is initially you are likely to see prices nearly double it's predicessor (new cards are always a premium)
Martin

When comparing the GFX 5200 and Radeon 9000 cards, here's the order in which they rank:

1) 5200 Ultra
2) 9000 Pro
3) 5200 128MB
4) 9000 128MB
5) 9000 64MB
6) 5200 64MB

Personally, I would go with either the 9000 Pro (which is probably cheaper) or the 5200 Ultra out of your list. Both should be under $130 online.

~cdogg

&quot;The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.&quot;
- A. Einstein

The Radeon 9000 is much better than the Geforce 4mx 440 and cost about the same. I have both and perfomance of the geforce 4mx is not that much better than the geforce 2! Even with the latest drivers the Radeon wipes the floor with the geforce and cost me less! The 3d mark 2001se test came out 25% better with the Saphire radeon 9000 (64MB) and the 3dmark 2003 would only perform half the tests with the geforce whereas the radeon did them all. For about £50 the radeon 9000 is good value.

If you want to spend more then the geforce Ti4200 is very good as well the siliro model is £100-£130.

I think I will wait for the Radeon 9800 I heard it's not supposed to be that pricey and it will be amazing! Kicks the old GeForce FX 5600 bottom!

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

One quick note - with the choices listed there, you have to go with the Ti4200 (64 or 128 will do) if you want to stretch. If you want to spend a little less, hit the 9100 Pro. But, if you would like to go hunting, or get a used card, a Radeon 8500 (buy a retail Built by ATI card - this is important because it is higher clocked than other 8500s) will actually outperform the 9100 Pro - some say it will even compete with the Ti4200 (although I would disagree). A better, cheaper alternative that you did not list.

BTW, if you want eye-candy in your games, ignore the rest of the cards on your list...

smaxed! &quot;Opinions on a wallet friendly card&quot; ?????????
&quot;think I'll wait for a Radeon 9800&quot; Hmmmmmmmmm? think I'm missing something here? Martin

Para.. he may have a VERY Friendly wallet as I've seen the 9800's being advertised for around $449 in my area.

Just wanted to add a comment, unless you have an intel based Mobo , DO NOT BUY A GEFORCE 4 CARD! you wouldnt believe the number of issues it has and how dificult are certain ones to solve! but dont take my word for it search &quot;geforce 4 problem&quot; in google and check some of the links. Some forums run up to 200 messages!

Uh, I beg to differ. The Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro that I'm running now blows the doors off of the Ti-4200 128mb card it replaced. Much better visual quality, Directx 9 support and it doesn't take so much of a hit when using anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering. I love it.

Snipeatwrk,
Differ with whom? Paparazi? Dakota81? It helps to clarify who you are replying to.

If you read their posts more carefully, both say the Ti4200 beats the Radeon 9500 overall. They are correct. They did not say the Radeon 9500 Pro. As a matter of fact, paparazi goes as far to say that the Pro version of the 9500 is as quick as the Ti4200.

Re-read it again:
&quot;[blue]Radeon 9500, very nice! but might be too pricey and not quite as quick as a GF4 4200Ti (although the PRO version is)[/blue]&quot;

~cdogg

&quot;The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.&quot;
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back