Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectorw16

Technical User
Jan 21, 2002
CA
Hi,

I'm in test phase with a win2k3 domain and a test workstation.

If I prevent my users from changing the time with a gpo, the Net Time command doesn't work.

I wanted to know if I need to put the Net time /set /y command in my script to sync my workstation or XP does that itself ?

Thanks

May be my question is unclear

I wan't to know if the servers and the workstation sync their time automaticaly ?

Or I need to put "Net time /set /y" in my login script

Thanks

If you configure Windows Time properly, it should all do it itself. Check the event log for Windows Time events.

NET TIME is not needed for XP clients in an AD domain.

Time sync on Windows XP (not sure about 2000 - don't think so..?) requries the "Windows Time" service to be enabled; which it is by default. It points to the nearest / quickest domain controller I believe.

No need for NET TIME in any batch script.

Good Luck,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Ok so if I deny users from changing time/date settings the workstations are going to sync anyway ?

Thanks

Yes the Windows time service will still sync the time with the nearest DC, no user intervention required. All PC's have to be within 5 mins of the authenticating DC or logon fails, this is a critical service that runs all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back