Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

time stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenyenchik

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
Hello. I am trying to write a stored procedure that executes at midnight every night and checks an employee's hire date from one table and changes a field on another table if today's date is exactly 5 years greater than the start date and the hire date is after 1996.

Here is the code:

CREATE PROCEDURE [usp_check_hiredate]
AS
DECLARE @idfiveyear [int]
SET @idfiveyear=(SELECT DISTINCT id from t_user where hire_date = DATEADD(yy, -5, GETDATE()) AND YEAR(hire_date)>1996)
UPDATE t_timeoff
SET accrual_rate=4.69 WHERE user_id=@idfiveyear and type='vacation'
GO

It's not doing it. Can anyone help me?

S

You don't need to mess around with Declares for this kind of thing.

Update t_timeoff
Set accrual_rate=4.69 WHERE user_id IN (SELECT DISTINCT id FROM t_user WHERE hire_date = DATEADD(yy, -5, GETDATE()) AND YEAR(hire_date)>1996) AND type='vacation'

I think the "AND YEAR(hire_date)>1996" is redundant because the preceding criteria guarantee that the year of the hire_date will be >= 1997. JHall

Your sp only works if your SELECT returns just 1 id. Even though you use DISTINCT, it might return multiple IDs.

Mwardle suggestion is the best way to go.

Andel
andel@barroga.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back