Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time service question 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

longlivegoku

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
This is probably a simple question. I just want to know how to set up all of my client computers (windows 2000 pro) to synchronize time with our main server (windows 2k a.s.) when they login. Also I would like to do this without a script if possible. Any ideas on how to do this?

This should happen automatically for you...if the clients belong to the domain. W32time is new 2K time service. Your domain needs to point to a time source...but the clients will automatically synch time with the domain. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

HI

GO TO COMMAND PROMT AND TYPE THE FOLLOWING

NET TIME /?

IT WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE OPTIONS ON HOW TO SYNCRONIZE TIME IN SAVRAL WAYS INCLUDING DOMAIN.

HOP THIS WILL WOFRK PUPA ARAUJO
ANGOLA

You can at each computer run
net time /setsntp:IP_address_of_server
you can also at the server have it sync time with a sntp server off the Internet using the same command.

This is a silly question but do you have A.D. running? If so, then Joseph has this one correct. The W2K Pro workstations will get this automatically from the server. If you do type NET TIME from the command prompt on a workstation you should see your server and the time that it currently has.

C:\>net time
Current time at \\SERVER is 4/2/2002 7:23 AM

The command completed successfully.

C:\>
Fish

"Your worst day is only 24 hours long"

Do you use DHCP if so you can set the settings for a time server in there, under server options Matthew Hankins

Network Technicain @ DGI Hereford

i have the same problem with our server.

server = win2000
wstation = nt & win2000

i tried net time /setsntp:IP_address_of_server and said command succesfull. But the time is still not synch.

i tried net time \\server /set
then it asked me if i want to synch
then typed ok.
it worked.

but this still didn't solved the problem of automatic synch from the server...

yes I have AD running, and we dont do DHCP, all static.

We need to back up a bit...Make the following registry change. Go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32 Time\Parameters, find the REG_DWORD subkey called LocalNTP. Change the subkey value from 0 to 1. This will make your W2K Server a local SNTP server. The NT machines should need a SNTP client installed. If you don't want to use the idea below.

If you just type NET TIME from a command prompt on your workstation, do you see your time server?

Using the setsntp command sets you to go to a certain server, but I don't believe it will sync right away.

You can solve this easily by creating a batch file and using the following line:

NET TIME \\SERVER-NAME /SET /Y

This will do the same thing as you did above but there will not be a prompt. Stick this into the startup folder. You could also add this to your login script.

After this is accomplished, go pick a public tier-2 timeserver to sync with. I have had good success with the servers at U of I. See below for a list:

Hope this helps. I do have a couple more good links if you need them. Fish

"Your worst day is only 24 hours long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back