Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Service error in Event Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

axslinger

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2000
US
I have a Win2K Server machine that gives me an error in the event viewer stating it couldn't find a domain controller to sync the time with. It's a Time Service error. Problem is, it IS a DC. I don't have the exact Event ID but it had to do with windows time.

On another machine I keep getting a DNS error event ID 5774. Did a search on Tech Net but didn't come up with anything. It's a "couldn't interpret format" error as I recall.

I have to say, I am really disappointed (but not surprised) at the number of Event Viewer errors that pop up on a freshly installed server. And I know it's not just me. I have worked with enough W2K servers to get a feel for them and invariably the event viewers are blood red or yellow as the sunshine. You would think that if a lot of services are going to be installed by default, the OS would prompt you for necessary information instead of just throwing the services in by default and leave it for the admin to spend the next week sorting it all out.

Brian

You have to configure the time service (no time server has been entered by default).

Larry Gerlt
A+ CNA CNE MCP+Internet MCSE
lgerlt@tconl.com

Yea, that's pretty much what the message said. Real descriptive.

Hi,
I had the same problem....the command to fix it is

net time/setsntp:(servername)

where the server can be an external server such as

time.mtt.net

hope this helps...it worked for me!!

Scott A. Rogers
MCSE MCP+ Internet

Thanks. What if you don't have an internet connection? I just pointed it at itself. It seemed to work.

Brian

Yeah that will for work for a time but the message will eventually pop back up. You can ignore it actually. It's meant to provide time synchronization for every server in a forest/tree (Much like Novell time synchronization). If you are running a single server the time issue is irrelevant.

Ok. That makes sense. If that is the case, how do I tell one of my local servers that it IS the time source? Then have the rest of the servers point to it?

Brian

The W32Time service can be completely controlled through the registry. Default looks for the time server type of NT5DS (Searches AD for TIME). If you use the Net Time /setsntp: you will change the type to NTP, and must have an NTP Daemon running on your network. I would recommend checking to see if any of your routers/switches support this.

All the registry keys for this service are published in a Q article:Q223184

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters

If it is a DC, set it to provide LocalNTP and also to be a ReliableTimeSource. Other AD aware machines should recognize this. NT4 machines can have W32time installed from the resource kit (supplemental4) and set as a Master Time source pointing to your original DC, and configured not to provide time to the domain.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back