Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkGuy101

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
Hello,

I would liek to configure a time server on my domain that runs mixed (NT, 98, 95, 2000, XP) clients. I have a windows 2000 server that I would like to use. What would be the best way to do this? Thanks- Joe

You can add the command net time in your logon script example net time \\domain /set /yes

we use that too but whenever there are user (which most people are) dont have admin privillage on their workstation can't change the time, any idea ?

XM

Does the time run off of the PDC or can I define a specific server? I would like to use my 2000 server and not my PDC

There is a strange issue with this. You should be able to update the time on any workstation from whichever server you want.

If you want to update the server times from an external time source, you will need to do this with the server that holds the PDC FSMO role.

KB Q243574

Regards,

Pinhead.

How do you know which server has the PDC FSMO role and how do you set a server to hold the PDC FSMO role?

You can use "netdom query fsmo" to determine which server is the PDCe. You will need to install the support tools from the server CD to use netdom.

You can also use AD Users and Computers. Right click on the domain name and click on operations masters. Check the PDC tab.

AD users and computers is also one way you can transfer the role to a different machine. You open ADUC from the machine you want to transfer the role to and go to the operations master dialog, pdc tab. Then you can click change.

Right now our domain is NT. We are migrating to Windows 2003. So if I use the netdom tool this will tell me who the the time server is in the NT domain correct? Then If I wish to use another server for the time server I would then point the PDC FSMO to another server using the /setsntp ? and then pointing the server that I want to be the time server to a external time source like one of the navys time servers. Does this sound logical? That way all servers and computers would be pointing to the server I want to be the main time server. Thanks for all of the inputs so far.

Yeah that sounds right to me.

Regards,

Pinhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back