Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time query help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimUK

Technical User
Jan 1, 2001
US
I have a report that I have been using the DateAdd function to query the last 12 hours for a helpdesk log and that works no problem. Our shifts run from 7am to 7pm (days) and 7pm to 7am (nights). What I would like to do is make a query that would look at the time when generated and only grab log files that go back to 7am or pm. For instance, it's 12 noon and I try to print a log of the day shift so far, I want it to go and grab logs from 12 noon only back to 7am that day. I'm lost on how to start this. Do I need 2 constants (7am or 7pm) and then figure hours back to one of those times depending on when I run query? Or can this even be done......Help!

Do you have a table name, a field name, and some sample records? We don't know if you have a single field for date and time or two fields.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Duane,

Thanks for the response. Table name is tblWOLog and their are 2 time fields, DateofEntry and WOClosedDate.
Other fields that I'm pulling to make the log entry are, Problem, EmployeeName, Actiontaken and WOStatus.
I check both the date fields in my query as there are 2 types of entries made: an actual workorder on a particular piece of equipment that has a problem and a generic log entry such as a phone call that we helped someone setup a Windows XP account.
There are situations where the bosses want to see the WOCloseDate on equipment problems vice just the Dateof Entry on a normal log entry.
Hope that clears it up some.
Thanks in advance.

Jim

and some sample records? We don't know if you have a single field for date and time or two fields.

It isn't clear if DateofEntry contains both a date and time since you state
their are 2 time fields

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

Whoops sorry!

They both contain date and time in the format
12/02/2005 13:00:00

Example:

Date of Entry: 12/02/2005 11:10:30

Date of Closure: 12/02/2005 14:00:00

You might be able to set the criteria under your date/time field to something like:
DateAdd("h",-5,Int(DateAdd("h",5,Now())*2)/2)

I have tested this thoroughly but maybe you can get the basics. Since you are needing to divide a date into two, I double the Now(), find the integer part and then divide by 2. Then you have to account for the 7:00 since it's not 12:00.

Duane MS Access MVP

Duane,

Thanks for the input. I'll start with that and see where it leads me.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back