Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time out to receive data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prapagar

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
IN
In my application I'm calling a stored procedure report in the PowerPrompt Script code. some times it gives error like 'Timeout to Receive Data'. Is this problem in Oracle Stored Procedure which is called or it's error given by Cognos.

Please help me in this

Thanks

Prapagar

Prapagar,
Sounds like a message produced by the agent used to link your computer with your Oracle DB. There is likely to be a setting for the agent which determines how long it should wait for the result set from the DB; over this time, a timeout message results. IS it possible that on the occasions when you get this message, either the query to the DB is more wide ranging in its scope, or the DB is handling requests from other users, both of which may act to slow the DB result set and hence give the timeout?
HTH
lex

Hi lex,

Thanks for ur response.

Yes, we are thinking same ,in that two scenarios only we are getting that error.

U said some thing about the Agent Settings, Plz help me where exactly i have to set the Values to avoid such problems.

I am using Cognos Version 7.2 .

Appreciate ur help.

Prapagar

By what means are you connecting between the computer running Cognos and the computer running the Database? The common method is via an ODBC agent. You should be able to configure the client (Cognos-side agent) with a utility supplied with the agent. In my company's case, we use Openlink and there is an Openlink Client Configuration Utility which allows the setting of communication timeouts.
lex

We don't have any seperate driver to connect with the DB, it's native driver which is used. Is there any other way to avoid this timeout by setting it in some properties file.

Powerprompt Script has to wait until it gets response from the DB, whatever time it may be.

Appreciate ur Help.

Thanx
Prapagar

when you say native driver, you mean one supplied by oracle? I would have thought there must be some way to configure it to the nature of the computer on which it operates. I can't provide any specific help, I'm afraid, but if it is an oracle product, is it worth checking with your oracle reseller or perhaps also with an oracle user forum/newsgroup to find the configuration utility?
sorry not to solve your problem,
lex

Native drivers provided by Cognos not Oracle, anyway we will check with Cognos Support Team. Thanx for ur response, if at all u can get a solution pls mail me at prapagar@yahoo.com.

also we'll convey u once we find solution for this issue.

Thanx

Prapagar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back