Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Issues With Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikolai459

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2005
US
Hello All,

I am trying to troubleshoot a project and I am somewhat baffled. We have a program that is ran on a host computer and can be seen on all of the network computers. We are using server 2003 for the host OS and windows xp or 2000 for the network OS. This program that is running records events and time stamps them. However, since we've begun using server 2003, the time on these events has been off. Not by much, but after a weekend it is off by a minute. This program is currently running as a service, and i've restarted this service and it did correct itself but just to get off track again. It also does this if I just run the program by itself, not as a service.

I've ran this program with an XP machine being the host and I have had no problems, so it seems to only happen when server 2003 is running it. Any ideas as to what could be causing the time difference?

I'd start by troubleshooting the program in question, not Windows. Have you contacted the program's vendor or the individual(s) whom developed this application to see if they can rule-out that this is a program-related issue?

Well that's the problem, it's our program. I'm trying to figure out what's causing this. The way this program works is as it's started, it grabs the time from windows and then starts its own internal clock. With XP or any other standard OS it works fine, no time change. Only run into problems when we run it from our server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back