Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Differences 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexlc

Technical User
Oct 7, 2004
GB
Hi,
Our IT dept can't fix this on the database (Lotus Notes 6.5 accessed via ODBC) for me at the moment, & the job is quite urgent, so need a work around for poor data entry.
I'm using this formula

numberVar dur:= datediff("s",{@ShiftEnd},{@ShiftStart});//get the seconds between 2 dates
numberVar Hrs;
NumberVar Min;
NumberVar Sec;
stringVar HHMMSS;

Hrs:= Truncate(Truncate (dur/60)/60);
Min:= Remainder(Truncate(dur/60),60);
Sec:= Remainder(dur,60);

HHMMSS:= totext(Hrs,"00") + ":" + totext(Min,"00") + ":" + totext(Sec,"00");

HHMMSS

And @ShiftEnd & @ShiftStart follow the format of
CDateTime({Shift.ShiftDate}&" "&{Shift.ShiftTo})

Unfortunately, it keeps thorwing up an "Invalid Time Value" error >:-<. Can I do this formula just using the times? The start & end are on the same day.

All help gratefully recieved.

Cheers Alex

Do you know why you are getting the error.

You can perhaps use the functions Isdate or istime to test if your datesor times are valid, these return a true/false boolean.

Use to test your formula and if a false is returned print and error message. At least then the report will not fall over.

Ian

Break it into several parts, that will show where the problem is.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

I think the syntax should be:

CDateTime({Shift.ShiftDate},{Shift.ShiftTo})

... if {Shift.ShiftDate} is of date datatype and {Shift.ShiftTo} if of time datatype.

-LB

Cheers Ibass, it usually works fine with the space etc, but anything that comes up with less typing is cool by me :)

Just run it again with those changes & the message says
"Query Engine Error: 'HY000:[Lotus][ODBC Lotus Notes] Invalid time value'

Usually it's poor data entry, grrrr Will try Ian's solution now.

Cheers Alex

Alex, you need to find out the datatype of {Shift.ShiftTo}, as the error indicates it is not a time. You could try wrapping it in time, as in:

CDateTime({Shift.ShiftDate},time({Shift.ShiftTo}))

-LB

Hi,

It's a time field - have just discovered that it is falling over because people are entering the same start & end time!!!

Thanks for your help, but I'm giving this up as a bad job before someone come to harm. IT will be showing me how to correct the erro on the database tomorrow.

Cheers Alex

That should not cause the error. Please post the exact formula you are using.

-LB

Hi,

It's all in my first post. I think it's something to do with notes - I have had this error message before in another database & have a "fix" in the database for that.

IT should be fixing it for me this morning.

Thanks again.

Cheers Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back