Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time diff from one field

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusc999

Technical User
Nov 20, 2007
US
I need to get the time difference from the "TranTime" field for each record in sequnce order; record 1 time differnce with record 2 then record 2 the time difference with record 3 so on and so on for all records through out the field. I have a productivty project were I need to identify the idle time.

I hope this posting make sense, any help is greatly appreciated.

-Gus

In Business Objects there's a PREV function which would allow you to compare the value of the field with the previous value of the field:

difference = field_value - prev(field_value)

Not sure if this is applicable to Crystal reports though, but thought I'd mention it.

Jamie Alexander
Web Guru and All Round Good Guy

Thanks for the tip I'll look into it.

Assuming the field is a datetime and that you want the difference in seconds, you can use:

datediff("s",previous({table.trantime}),{table.trantime})

If it is a time field, and if the times always occur within the same day, you can use:

datediff("s",datetime(currentdate, previous({table.trantime})),datetime(currentdate,{table.trantime}))

-LB

I copied the formula but it's giving me an error, "The ) is missing". Below is a copy of what I copied only change was the field.

datediff("s",datetime(currentdate, previous({@POTIME}),datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME}))

You left out a paren:

datediff("s",datetime(currentdate, previous({@POTIME})),datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME}))

-LB

LB,

I added the paren but I then get the following error "This field has no previous or next value". Please assist.

datediff("s",datetime(currentdate, previous({@POTIME}),datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME})))

What is the content of {@POTTIME} and of any nested formulas within it?

-LB

Yes it has the following:

WhileReadingRecords;
Local NumberVar ConvertTime := {PORCV.PORTIM};

Local NumberVar MyHours;
Local NumberVar MyMinutes;
Local NumberVar MySeconds;

MyHours := ConvertTime \ 10000;
ConvertTime := ConvertTime mod 10000;
MyMinutes := ConvertTime \ 100;
MySeconds := ConvertTime mod 100;

Time(MyHours,MyMinutes,MySeconds)
-------------------------------------------------

However when I attempt to do it with the original field I get the follow "A time is required here" and it points to the last field in the formula.

datediff("s",datetime(currentdate, previous({PORCV.PORTIM}),datetime(currentdate,{PORCV.PORTIM})))

It's because you are using variables. If you instead use a formula like the following for the conversion:

time(truncate({PORCV.PORTIM}/10000),
truncate(remainder({PORCV.PORTIM},10000)/100),
remainder({PORCV.PORTIM},100))

...I think this will work.

-LB

Almost...

"Too many argument have been given to this function" that's the new error.

what do you think?

I tested this and it appeared to work. Did you create this formula as {@convert} and then use it in the datediff formula? Or were you having trouble with this formula first? Where was the cursor when you got this error?

-LB

The cursor was on "datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME}".

First formula:
//WhileprintingRecords;
//WhileReadingRecords;
//Local NumberVar ConvertTime := {PORCV.PORTIM};
//
//Local NumberVar MyHours;
//Local NumberVar MyMinutes;
//Local NumberVar MySeconds;
//
//MyHours := ConvertTime \ 10000;
//ConvertTime := ConvertTime mod 10000;
//MyMinutes := ConvertTime \ 100;
//MySeconds := ConvertTime mod 100;
//
//Time(MyHours,MyMinutes,MySeconds)

time(truncate({PORCV.PORTIM}/10000),
truncate(remainder({PORCV.PORTIM},10000)/100),
remainder({PORCV.PORTIM},100))

Second Formula:
datediff("s",datetime(currentdate, previous({@POTIME}),datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME})))

You still have the parens wrong:

datediff("s",datetime(currentdate, previous({@POTIME})),datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME}))

-LB

LB,

If you publish a book I'll buy it. It's working like a charm. However I got just one more request if I may.

I need to use the select expert on this field but it does not come up. I'm sure it has to do with the formula. Is there a way we can get it were I can only view the ones with > 15 minutes.

Thank you!!

You can't select on a formula like this because it is based on sequential records. All you can do is conditionally suppress the section by using a formula like this:

datediff("n",datetime(currentdate, previous({@POTIME})),datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME})) <= 15

Note that I changed the seconds to minutes (n = minutes in datediff, to distinguish it from months).

If you have groups, you will have to account for them also in your formula--to eliminate comparisons with other group instances.

-LB

I have it grouped by user so how do I account for them in the formula? I just tried it and I'm getting all "TRUE" in the field.

You shouuld be creating the formula in the section expert->details->suppress->x+2 area. Make sure you change the "s" to "n".

Change the formula to:

{table.user} = previous({table.user}) and
datediff("n",datetime(currentdate, previous({@POTIME})),datetime(currentdate,{@POTIME})) <= 15

-LB

LB,

Thank you for you help it worked perfectly plus you showed me feature I never knew was available. Your the best....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back