Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPhilb

Programmer
Feb 25, 2002
US
I'm stumped and not sure why this is happening. I have a time field from an AS400 table which comes in the format of 80000 for 8:00 a.m. and 130000 for 1:00 p.m.. I'm trying to do a simple conversion to make these numbers appears as a time. I have a function that should handle the conversion and it appears to run through fine but the time field shows up blank. My function is:

Function MkeTime(n)
Dim db As Database
Dim rst As Recordset
Dim fld As Field
Dim f As Variant
Set db = CurrentDb()

If n < 99999 Then
f = Format(Left([n], 1) & &quot;:&quot; & Mid([n], 2, 2) & &quot;:&quot; & Right([n], 2))
n = f
Else
f = Format(Left([n], 2) & &quot;:&quot; & Mid([n], 3, 2) & &quot;:&quot; & Right([n], 2))
n = f
End If
End Function

I have also tried making a table and then converting the numbers into a new field and I get the same results. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Brad

First check, if you deal with string or number.
If it a string, then use:
[tt]MkeTime=TimeValue(Left([n],Len[n]-4) & &quot;:&quot; & Mid([n],Len([n]-3,2) & &quot;:&quot; & Right([n],2)[/tt]
Use Trim([n]) if you can have spaces.

If [n] is a number, use:
[tt]MkeTime=TimeSerial(Int([n]/10000,Int(([n] Mod 10000)/100),[n] Mod 100)[/tt]

combo

Combo,

I was converting an integer and your suggestion worked beautifully. Thanks so much for you help.

Brad

Hi Brad,
I missed some brackets, should be (for number):
MkeTime=TimeSerial(Int([n]/10000),Int(([n] Mod 10000)/100),[n] Mod 100)

and for string:
MkeTime=TimeValue(Left([n],Len([n])-4) & &quot;:&quot; & Mid([n],Len([n])-3,2) & &quot;:&quot; & Right([n],2))

Hope you noticed

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back