Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time-change related failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcferrin

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
Has anyone had any failures lately related to time changes? I have 4 servers running BE 9.1, and three of them failed to run backups last night. When I checked the Job Monitor, it showed that last nights full backups, as well as the future incrementals were all out of the time window. On the one server that did run, the next full backup was OK but future incrementals were shown as out of the time window. The scheduled start times for the out of window jobs were also all off by one hour.

The only thing that I could think of was that BE didn't like the time change Sunday morning. I suspect that one or three of the jobs were running when the clock changed and that's why the one full backup job didn't get hosed. I ended up deleting the bad jobs and recreating them (easy with templates), but I'm not 100% sure if that will fix the issue. And if it does, is there any way to avoid this next spring?

I have had the same problem and it was probably related to the time that you had set for the Backup to run. I had mine set to 12:30am with a 5min delay. With that, it was out of the time frame when the GMT changed the windows time.

I thought about that, but I run backups 7 days a week and the Sunday night backups were fine, as were the Saturday night backups. If they were prevented from running by the time change why did it wait untill Monday? Mine are set to kick off at 11:30. Mine also have a 90 minute start window.

I can't explain why your Sunday job ran at the correct time, but there is a known issue with DST and Veritas.

I had this happen to me for the first time on a server we had recently upgraded to ver. 10. Our ver. 9.1 server was not affected. I called Veritas because according to this KB article the problem would happen once and "normalize" itself, but that didn't seem to be the case for me. I was told it is a known issue (Don't you love that?) and can occur on ver 9 as well although I had never had it happen to me.

I found that if I went into the job setup the correct time was still there so I just resubmitted all of my jobs without making any changes and the job monitor window now shows the jobs scheduled for the correct time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back