Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTorrance

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have a table that has a time field and I need to delete 4 hours from that time. Is this possible? Everything I have tried sebtracts 4 minutes.

Thank You for any help

Mike,
no that did not work. The table that the time is in is sent to us daily from a customer. The time indicates what time our parts must be at their facility. We need to subtract 4 hours from that time to get our ship time in a program that will print out a detail report. The time field is a character field with values like 0330 or 1530. When I try to use the ctot() function, I get a function argument value, type or count is invalid error. Thanks for the suggestion. Any other help is appreciated.

Rachael

Rachael,

The time field is a character field with values like 0330 or 1530.

It would have been helpful if you mentioned that at the outset.

Perhaps something like this would work:

nHours = val(left(MyTimeField,2))
nMins = val(right(MyTimeField,2))
x = DATETIME(2003,12,31,nHours,nMins,0)
y = x - (4 * 60 * 60)

The actual numbers that you pass to DATETIME don't really matter -- except for the 4th and 5th parameters. The idea is that it will create a datetime variable with an arbitrary date but with the actual time that you are interested in.

I haven't tested the above code, but I think it should give you a start.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

If it is stored as military time (ie. 0330) in a character field, couldn't you take the VAL(LEFT(time,2)) and substract 4. If the value is less than 0, then it would be the previous day and you would need to adjust for it, maybe by adding 24 (eg. -3 + 24 = 21 which is 9PM the previous day).

Something to the affect of:

PADL(ALLTRIM(STR(VAL(LEFT(myTime,2))-4)),2,"0") + RIGHT(myTimeField,2)

This is not nearly as clean as Mike's but I did sort of run it and it seemed to return what you needed.

Mike,
Thank you very much. You're suggestion helped and I was able to figure it out.
Rachael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back