Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoser337

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
CA
My Western Digital 60 gig HDD has started repeatedly clicking quite loudly. Disconnected the data cable and it still does it. Looks like a bad drive. Any suggestions on getting my data out before it goes for landfill?

Ghost is good...but the drive doesn't function. Are there any options left?

Actuaor arm is not engaging you will have that wonderful clicking noise and not be able to access the data (boot the OS or recover the data) there are three options. One, keep trying, sometimes you get lucky and get one more shot at it with Ghost. Two, If you have another HDD with the "exact" model and design specifications you can change the logic voard in case the problem is the board and not the mechanics. Three, find a local HDD recovery facilty if your daata is that important, but htey are incredbly expensive and unless you are talking Health issues or Corprate dat it is probally not worth it.

In the future, from a former Seagate service tech, "Make Backups"

Thanks snlburns...fortunately this data is not that critical and this wasn't the boot drive (which is backed up on a regular basis). I couldn't agree more about the backup thing, but I guess I was giving too much weight to the story that a hard drive should last 57 years. I'll be lucky if I do, at this rate. :)

Glad to see you are a conciensious user. I can't tell you how many people I have seen literally cry when I tell them their drive is unrecoverable.

Good luck witht he new drive, heck buy two:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back