Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Throughput slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmillerl

MIS
Nov 15, 2002
US
We have ArcServe2000 SP4 installed. We've been using it since September of this year. This week, our throughput on backups to remote servers has dropped from an average of 80-153M/min to 25.5-46M/min. I did install some Microsoft hot fixes to the backup server and the remote servers just before this slowdown occurred (2 to the backup server and several to the remote servers). Any ideas? Anyone else have throughput problems after installing MS hot fixes?

Thanks for your help!

Check out how your network throughput is !
do a copy of about 1 gig of data from your remote box to the arcserve server and check calculate what the throughput

Are you using client agent to do the backup of the remotes servers?

if client agent backup is slow have you tried doing a backup via network using arcserve itself.

what hot fixes did you apply?

STORAGEBOY

Thanks for the reponse.

We tracked the problem down. We had also made a change on our switches and hard-coded server ports to use full/duplex instead of auto/auto. All server NICS were already set to use full duplex, so this seemed like a good idea. Once I set our backup server port back to auto/auto, both the tape backup and file copy speed of remote server files was back to normal.

I don't understand, though, why that made a difference when the backup server NIC was (and still is) hard-coded to full/duplex. Also, we have a second backup server with ArcServe 2000 whose network throughput (both backup and straight file copy) wasn't affected by hard-coding the switch. Oh well, I guess that's a question for a different forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back