Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Throttling IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

summitmedia

Programmer
May 14, 2002
GB
Hi their

i have a win2k server runnign iss and i have throttled the cpu usage to 50% and ticked the enforce limits.

Someone has told me this means that the site will run for 50% of the time a full steam and then suffer the other 50% of the time.

is the case? my understanding was that if you set the throttled the cpu usage to 50% percent that IIS would not let this virtual server use more than 50% of the cpu at any one time and so mean that if you runn lots of sites but have some more busy than others if you set them all to 50% cou usage then they should all get a go at the processor and not allow one site in particular to monopolize the processor and cause the other sites to fail. is this correct or the other guy correct?

Any suggestions on this issue as i have been trying to find the officail use for this option on the iis virtual server properties panel but the information is a little vague from i have found so far.

cheers

Dean

A little vague is probably a compliment!

My understanding is that the processor throttling only applies to "out of process" applications (Application protection set to High) and anything running in the IIS context or in pooled memory is unaffected.

M$ Documentation

but essentially applications can be killed for the rest of the 24 hour period between resets.

Microsoft said:
Once a site has reached a Level 2 or Level 3 consequence, the consequence remains in effect until the next time interval. For example, if a site’s out-of-process applications are restricted to 10 percent of the CPU processing time during a 24-hour interval, the site’s applications should be using the CPU for only 2.4 hours out of 24. If the site uses the CPU longer than 2.4 hours, but less than 3.6 hours, the only consequence is that an event is written to the Event Log. Once the site uses the CPU for more than 3.6 hours, all out-of-process applications on the site are set to Idle. If the server is not very busy and the applications continue to use processor time, eventually reaching 4.8 hours of use during the 24-hour interval, the out-of-process applications are stopped on the Web site.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

hi their

i have a site running in high isolation mode as it is a little heavy on the server due to a loty sessions being used in the site. i had this throttled to 50% in an attempt to ensure that the server wouldn't fall over due to this instance of the dllhost.exe using to much of the processor.

so it appears from what you have put he was right when he said that this throttling is more time based than processor usage based if i am reading this correctly.

so to ensure the site are up mor ei would be better off scrapping the cpu throttleing as this would in fact just slow things down even more? if i am correct as it is now having to keep a check of how long it has been running if if it is time based rather than simply ensuring the processor is not over 50%.

so in theory turning of the cpu throttling should use less cpu than having it on?

any ideas

cheers

dean
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if they can't prove i was logged in when it broke, It a software issue and you ain't seen me right!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back