Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Throttle bandwidth through Proxy Server v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Officer57

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2000
US
I'm administering a proxy server with approx. 50+ users. Some users are soaking up bandwidth to the point that it is degrading thier quality of work. <br><br>Anyone have any idea on how to limit the amount of time or bandwidth a user is allowed to use? I know Proxy Server is either an all or nothing thing (from what I've read).<br><br>Thanks,<br>Bob

<br>Start the Internet Services Manager <br>(Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - Internet Services Manager) <br>Right click on the web site and select Properties <br>Select the 'Performance' tab <br>Check the 'Enable bandwidth throttling' and enter the <br>maximum amount of bandwidth the web site may use <br>Check the 'Enable process throttling' and enter a percentage <br>maximum of processor time the CPU may use. <br>If you do not check 'Enforce limits' only an event log is written <br>when the site uses over the specified amount and you may <br>want to check why its using so much CPU. Checking the 'Enforce limit' <br>box will actually stop the site using more than the specified percentage.<br>Click Apply <br>Click OK <br>&nbsp;<br><br> <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@computerwiz.net>johnvogel@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href= Home Page</a><br>Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life:<br>
Without the Way there is no going;<br>
Without the Truth there is no knowing;<br>
Without the Life there is no living. —Anon.

What I am trying to do is restrict the amount of internet access each user is allowed to use. In other words, Joe Blow is allowed to use 1 megabyte or 1 hour of bandwidth. We've got some users who are hogging bandwidth and allowing the internet to interfere with their work. <br><br>I need to limit each user's use, not the entire domain.

What version of IIS are you running?? I cant find the 'Enable process throttling' on my version?????

But I think it is the thing for me!!

Are you running the website yourself ? If yes, then you can throttle the bandwidth
If not, you need additional configuration
(Floodgate from checkpoint, packeteer hardware, ...)
to restrict incoming/outgoing bandwidth Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back