Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three Video Cards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcandyman83

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
US
I have three crt's set up in my office. Two are working fine using a radeon AGP and an older VGA/PCI card. I would like to add a third. I have yet another VGA/PCI card and I was wondering if it was possible to run two PCI's and one AGP on one system to support three monitors. (i would like to avoid purchasing a new dual output card.) Any suggestions?

"You could dream a little dream or you could live a little dream. I'd rather live it, cuz dreamers always chase but never get it" -Aesop Rock

well i thought so too. The card is recognized by the OS under device manager. It also shows a third screen in the display setting tab. the prob is in device manager it has the yellow exclamation point over the third card. it says device cannot start (Code 10). I had this same problem after installing the first PCI which I resolved by changing the BIOS to PCI/AGP for the initilization. I am now at a loss i cant find any other bios settings to correct the problem.

"You could dream a little dream or you could live a little dream. I'd rather live it, cuz dreamers always chase but never get it" -Aesop Rock

I can't help you with the settings but if you do find yourself having to spend money, have a look at the Matrox 'Triple Head 2 Go' device before you buy a dual-head card. It's a widget that connects to a single video output and (helped by some software) splits the signal across three screens. I don't know how much it costs but I suspect it would be less problematic than trying to get a PCI card and a dual-head AGP card (possibly from different manufacturers, certainly from different generations) working together nicely.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back