Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three Tables on one Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALman

Technical User
May 15, 2002
GB
I have three Access 2000 tables linked by one key field named JobNo. In Access I was able to create a form which displayed all the fields from each table and was able to scroll through the records for each JobNo.
However I am having difficulty trying doing the same with a form created in VB6.
I have tried using the Form Data Wizard which gives me a Record Navigation Bar at the bottom of my form but this can only connect to one table. If I create another two bars from the toolbox they too remain bound to one table only.
On the form I display the JobNo field once only from Table 1. I do not show the same field (which holds the same data/jobno) from Tables 2 & 3.
Can anyone help me to link my data / text boxes which are bound to the three table’s fields in such a way that when I move to the next record/job number that all the fields reflect the data for that new record/JobNo. I think I am right in saying I have a one-to-many setup.
I have tinkered with ADODC from the toolbox but do not understand what I am trying to do.
As always any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Try creating a query from the three tables and use the query in the form instead of the three tables. It's really the same thing, but it may work a little differently in VB6.

PALman

Use a query to display data from the table of the one part of relationship. Text boxes & Labels will suffice.
Use a different query to display data from the table of the many part of the relationship. The join used for the relationship should be transformed to a Where clause of the 2nd query to retrive the many records. Use a grid for this purpose.

ADODC control is easy but lacks flexibility.

I prefer to open a connection to the database, and use it to execute stored procedures-parameter queries-queries and queries created on the fly. The result is a recordset. You do the binding of the text boxes, labels, grids etc, and all the manipulation of the recordset. For a grid you could use a MSFlexGridControl.

If you are learning now use the wizards for hints & tips. If you are planning to use only MS-Access DAO 3.6 library is Ok else start with ADO 2.x Library

Good luck!

Thanks CognosChicago and JerryKlmns,
I shall create query as you both suggest.
However I have one question... In the creation of a form based on a query or queries shall I be able to edit all the data from the three tables on the form?
I need to be able to update all three tables directly from the one form.
Thanks

Depends on how you open the recordsets. Explore the various properties of the recordsets & methods. Do keep in mind Data Integrity Rules to treat them correctly, especially for the orphans!
Also be aware that SQL reserved words used in a query DISTINCT & GROUP BY, joins in the WHERE clause and any CrossTab query are NOT updatable Also Harnessing the Power of Updatable Queries, a nice thing to keep in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back