Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

three minute hang during login to local pc or domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

planet366

MIS
Sep 23, 2003
US
I have an interesting login issue with Windows XP Pro.
When logging into either the local computer or my windows 2000 domain several of my Dell D800 Laptops will hang for approximately 3 to 3.5 minutes during login. The computer hangs after entering in their password and before it processes any startup items. This problem seems to come and go and It is only occurring on the Dell D800 model of laptop. I have looked at startup items and services but can find nothing that should cause this problem. These laptops are only about 3 months old and were all new builds.

Note: I have tried the registry fix that forces windows XP to fully load all networking components prior to the login screen. This causes the computer to hang for 3 to 3.5 minutes prior to being able to login.

If anyone has a fix for this please let me know,

Thanks

Do these have any built in networking adapters in addition to the 10/100 LAN? (like wireless or bluetooth). I have seen this type of hang where there are two adapters enabled, only one is used, and the one that is not used is set up for DHCP. The hang occurs while the DHCP enabled adapter tries to get an IP address (which eventually times out) and Windows finishes loading.

Thanks for the response Frank4d. Yes, these laptops do have two adapters enabled. A wireless adapter as well as the lan adapter. However, The wireless is setup with a static IP and the Lan is set for DHCP. Why would the laptop hang during login when connect via the Lan adapter. Further more I have about 20 Dell D505's with this same setup and not one of them is having a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back