Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three-Dimensional Arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangb333

MIS
May 21, 2001
CA
HI.
Do you know how to declare and write the coding for three dimensional arrays...
For example, i'm trying to make a 10 x 10 grid with labels, how would I be able to make an array read diagonally, without using the grid tool because i don't have that tool on my VB3.
Thanks.

A 10x10 grid?

Maybe what you really want is a two-dimensional array instead. I'm not sure how you intend to read diagonally, but here is how you declare an array:

Code:
Dim Array(10, 10) As String

This declares a two-dimensional array of 11 * 11, a total of 121, with Option Base 0 (the default).

Code:
Dim Array(10, 10, 10) As String

This declares a three-dimensional array of 11 * 11 * 11, a total of 1331, with Option Base 0.

As you can see the three-dimensional array is over 10x bigger, so use only what you need.

NOTE: You can change the type to what suits your application, e.g. variable/fixed length String, or Integer. I wouldn't recommend Variants because of their size.

If you want the array to start at 1, use lower To upper.

Code:
Dim Array(1 To 10, 1 To 10, 1 To 10) As String

------------

If you want to store values in an array, you can do this:

Code:
Array(x, y[, z]) = Value

To store a string in a three dimensional array (of String type):

Code:
Array(6, 3, 1) = "LabelX"

------------

If you give more specific information it may be easier to understand what you're trying to do, but I hope this helps you.

"For Lucky Best Wash Use Mr Sparkle."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back