Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

threading question

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvcloud

Programmer
Apr 23, 2002
MY
i read that C++ do not really have support for thread. Instead the API of the operating system is used. does this code below making an Win32 API call? the header imports process.h.

_beginthread(AcceptProc,0,&sockListen);

Do not use the API CreateThread, because it may cause memoryleaks in VC++. Instead, compile with one of the options /MT, /MTd, MD or /MDd. If you use one of these options, _beginthread or _beginthreadex is recognized.

Marcel

is there a difference between _beginthread, and the Worker/UI Thread provided in MFC?

Yes and no.
Yes: _beginthread is controlled by you, you can start anything as a thread.
No: both are threads within the same process.
Question is not quite clear.

Marcel

Actually what i don't understand is why C++ is said to have no support for threads, when there are a method to create thread which is the _beginthread. i'm trying to understand the way C++ handles multithreading as i need to compare it with C# for my college research project. I understand that most of the time, C++ is just making API calls or it uses class libraries (like MFC) that are wrapper around the API. so is _beginthread an API call too?

CreateThread is an API, which can be called from within any C-program, regardless of the compiler options.
_beginthread and _beginthreadex are C-runtime functions, which are normally not supported, only if you use one of the compiler options i mentioned in an earlier post. The reason for this is the synchronisation required in a multi-threaded environment.
Suppose two threads are running in the same process. The first thread is executing printf ( "aaaaaaaaaa" ); and the second printf ( "bbbbbbbbbb" ). If there is no synchronization, you might find something like "aaabbbbbbaaaaaaabbbb" in your output. Synchronized, the output will be "aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbb" or "bbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaa".

Marcel
Marcel

How can I run a class member method in a thread, in a win 32 console application?

Thanks,
Alberto H.

I would suggest a method pointer that you pass to the thread. See this quick example on method pointers. Cut and paste of the code should be fine

===========================================================================================
Code:
#include <iostream.h>

class c1{
public:
	c1::c1(){}
	void sample1();
	void sample2();
	void sample3();
	void sample4();
	void sample5();
	void sample6();

};