Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thoughts on two antivirus solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

INArtCtr

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
We have puchased a new server and set up Server 2003 and Exchange 2003. We were previously using CA's InoculateIT for AV protection, which worked well. With the new server, we need to either upgrade to a newer version of CA or move to something else. We are currently doing a test run of Symantec. Any thoughts on the two in terms os dependability, ease of maintenance, effectiveness, etc? Initial purchase cost is not necessarily an issue, since we are a non-profit and get discounted pricing on both, but ongoing costs would be a big factor. We do not have an in-house IT department, so "hands off" operation is preferred. Thanks!

I've not used Symantec for a while so I can't comment on the latest products but it seems to me that (IMHO) they seem to spend more time aquiring other companies than keeping their products up to date and bug free.

We are currently using CA's eTrust AV and like it OK. I prefer Sophos but cost was a major factor in our decision.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I like Symantec, I've never been a big fan of Mcaffee, but I haven't utilized them in a looooooooong time.

I'm looking at the same situation as the OP. Either an upgrade to v8 of the CA A/V or maybe try Trend's Client/Server messaging Security for SMB.

Anyone have any experience with Trend. I had trouble assigning workstations to groups at the server for CA on a SBS2003. To get some to work I had to make Administrator account a local admin? Craziness.

Any help is appreciated.

We continue to use Symantec Corp Edtion and haven't really had any issues with it. Too lazy I guess to try something else but if it isn't broke....
Anyway I also run McAfee's Command Line Scanner that scans all incoming email. If it were to miss something then it would hopefully get picked up my Symantec for Exchange. That is my setup of two antivirus protection setup just on email. All the workstations just have the Symantec 10 client.
Just something to consider.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Been a big fan of Mcaffee since a bunch of relatives got infected while running Norton AV (a few years back.) Now have something like Devastator...our Velociraptor runs Symantec AV on everything passing through while the whole LAN runs McAffee (ASAP on desks, with Groupshield on Exchange server.)

Haven't had a single occurance make it inside the FW but never hurts to be safe (only the costs to keep up the McAfee subscription.)

You may want to check out Vexira. Very nice product, although a bit under the radar.

Pretty good track record, and the support people are VERY helpful.

======
"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care."
-Jimmy Buffett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back