Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thoughts on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

austindesigner

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
US
The printer I work with requests that I send my files as flattened tiff files... it is a digital offset press, and I've had quite a few things printed with them so far and they all look good...

My question is: is there anything wrong with sending final files in that format (as opposed to native ID files, or postscript)?

It sure makes life easier to open my files in Photoshop and send them bitmaps!

Was the printer really requesting that you send flattened TIFF files instead of PSD files when you send complete document packages?

This is what printers typically ask for when their equipment or their intelligence cannot support InDesign output. It is really rather foolish of the printer when they could simply export a flattened PDF/X-1a file.

I would ask your printer for a specific reason to send flattened TIFF files. It is just a silly request.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

Maybe I wasn't totally clear in my explanation... After I have an approved document, I make a postscript file and open it in Photoshop, and save it as a tiff file, which is what my printer requests, rather than preflight, collect the files and fonts and hope their output matches mine.

Silly or not, it seems to work - I'm just asking if this is something other printers ask for.

I've never heard of that. I also assume that your docs are only one page. I'm guessing that the printer is stiking your file into another. older program like Pagemaker or something and that they have not bothered to learn output from newer apps or pdf.

I had one printer that could not do separations from pdf. They were nice people but I get a lot of work from major companies (we do a lot of programs for pro sports events and I have to insert the ads) and they all now come in pdf. We had to go with a differnet printer rather than trying to change everything to eps.

Most printers that we deal with now prefer pdf to native ID, Quarks, etc.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Um, ok... I understand you have your opinion, but with all due respect, what do you care, if it works for me?

Are you like this all the time?

Wow, settle down.

To answer you question. no. but you already know that because you already answered you own question by stating that it works for you.

What everyone is trying to get you to understand is that you could create a PDF to send them.

or

get you printer to step into the modern way to pre-press things

Marcus

Okay let's talk about quality.

Your InDesign document uses vectors (the outlines of your type are vectors and every other design element is based on vector. This means that is a calculation from anchor point one to anchor point two, creating a smooth line or curve.

Photoshop uses pixels, a definition in colour squares. This means that when you open your eps in Photoshop he is going to change all those smooth lines into a array of small squares, trying to imitate your vector curves.

When you have small text or very thin lines it is impossible for photoshop to create the same smoothness as the vectors. Try to create an angled line with only squares and you know what I mean.

So what evrybody tries to explain is that your output could be even better when you send native ID files or highres and certified pdf's.

But if you are happy with the result, why bother then. I should state that this workflow is outdated

carlow

is there anything wrong with sending final files in [TIFF]?

Since vector data is normally rasterized in the RIP (the Raster Image Processor) at the printer, you are simply doing your printer's job by sending a TIFF. If you are getting a good deal in printing then this may not be an issue. I have never had a paper printer ask me for this. I would not trust their competence. However, I sometimes send out silkscreen work this way.

Sending TIFF files is a grossly inefficient way of sending data as the trim vector data blows up to bloated raster data. The responsibility of rasterizing properly is on your head so you had better be sure you rasterize the crisp text and line elements properly. If you are working with color output, you lose any chance of having meaningful color managed output.

Are you like this all the time?

If you are referring to being helpful, yes: the folks in this forum are helpful all the time. If this comment was made to insult or to be critical of anyone's input then you should be aware that such an attitude is a good way for you to be ignored with future issues here.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

quote:
Um, ok... I understand you have your opinion, but with all due respect, what do you care, if it works for me?

Um... didn't you want other opinions? If not, why ask? The answer is, no, no printer except yours, and some silkscreeners, would dream of asking for tiffs. They would ask for a PDF to maintain it's, um, vector-ness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back