Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This will change my LIFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

php3390

Technical User
Feb 5, 2005
SA
Hello everybody,

I know that I may posting my topic in the wrong place but anyhow, I'm having an interview tomorrow to join some company as an Oracle DBA. The problem is that I'm technically good.. but I get confused at interviews and I don't want to *beep* it up this time ! I would like to prepare myself for the interview and ask you guys, what are the most popular questions asked in such an Oracle position interviews.

Most of the interviews I've ran through were psychologic ones! they ask weird questions just for teasing I assume .. I want to act smart and sharp. Help me please and I will give you a good percentage of my salary if I get the job ;-)

Agreed?

Many thanks,

interested1

PHP,

Are you an experienced Oracle DBA? If you are, then you probably know many of the questions that they will be asking you. If you are not an experienced Oracle DBA, then you certainly do not want to give them the impression that you are experienced, but are a quick study and willing to invest time to learn.

During a technical portion of a DBA interview they will probably ask questions of you that may include these topics:
* Installing Oracle Server software
* Installing Oracle Client software
* Creating Oracle databases
* Significant differences between Oracle 8, 9, and 10.
* Oracle Architecture (e.g., differences between an Oracle instance and an Oracle database)
* Creating tablespaces, users, and allocating resources and permissions.
* Creating database objects including tables, indexes, synonyms, sequences, partitions, et cetera.
* Database backups and recovery methods (hot backups versus cold backups versus exports).
* Costs and benefits of being in ARCHIVELOG mode versus NOARCHIVE LOG mode.
* Components of Oracle connectivity: SQL*Net, tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, listener.ora, et cetera

Let us know your findings and outcomes.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Dave's covered it, but good luck. Hopefully your technical capabilities will shine through. The only addition I would add is to give them good examples of your skills and what they will add to their organisation.

DBToo,

Thanks for the heads-up. As a result of your observation, I checked with our web master who confirmed that we, in fact, are having connectivity issues. He promised to resolve the problem asap and advise. I shall advise here when I can confirm that is back on-line.

Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks again.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

PHP,

one technique that I use at client interviews, or like to see if I am interviewing, is to stop and think before answering a question ... listen, think, formulate an answer and then articulate

dont always be in a rush to answer a question - the interviewer may be well impressed that you consider options etc before answering

remember that we are all human (i hope !) and not walking encyclopeias ... as long as you dont make the interviewer wait too long for an answer

if you dont know the answer, admit it ! it may be something that you have not come across for a long time ...

the 'psychologic' test are a completely different story

dont forget that your technical attributes on the cv got you the interview; the interviewer will be looking to ascertain 2 things:

1. does this guy/girl (pc!) know his/her stuff ?
2. do i want to work with this guy/girl

the second one is just as important as the first

i have always felt that my technical cv gets me the interview and the social interview gets me the job

regards, david - no such thing as problems - only solutions.

Hey all,

I've finished the interview .. they asked me simple questions !

* How to recover my Datafile if it gets crashed ?
* How to make tuning on some scenarios they have given!! I did well in this question

and some other questions to estimate my knowledge ... in DB certainly and the IT related generally...

It was smooth and friendly interview ..

SantaMufasa,

These tips were very helpful .. Thanks.

KenCunningham,

Yes.. they asked me to do marketing myself and to conivnce them to hire me within a minute and a half ! That was the hardest question than the technical ones .. :)

Advocate,

I can see the management experience in your post. I totally agree with you. I always try to write my C.V based on what I actually have..I've been into some embarrassing situations because of not doing that.. and I learned a good lesson. ;-)

and as you said : "i have always felt that my technical cv gets me the interview and the social interview gets me the job" .. This is True.. But sometimes your intelligence work against you! it makes the interviewer to fear you .. It happens to me infact!

Regards.

Yes.. they asked me to do marketing myself and to conivnce them to hire me within a minute and a half ! That was the hardest question than the technical ones ..

A: "'Cause I know where you live."

Haha. But in all seriousness, hope things turn out well!

All hail the INTERWEB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back