Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This was a joke, but not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2001
US
Does anyone know the location and name of the start up splash screen file in Win2k? (It's "logos.sys" and "logow.sys" in Win98) Someone in the office decided to be funny and replaced it with a pretty gruesome picture. It's all in good fun, but I don't want the boss to get a look at it.

Thanks.

This may help you:

To disable the Windows 2000 splash screen, you need to add the text add
/noguiboot to the entry in BOOT.INI that launches Windows 2000. For example,
if you use the following BOOT.INI entry to boot:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /fastdetect

Change this to:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /fastdetect
/noguiboot

Please Backup the boot.ini file first before any modification

Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Try in the Registry :
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
change Wallpaper Key by making it blank

Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Jeremy,

Thanks for pointing me to that MS article. I edited the registry like it says. But that only took care of PART of the problem. Now, the screens load like this:
When the system first changes from the monochrome boot screen (ie "hit DEL to enter set up, loading DMI pool data...") it shows the new bmp I choose when I edited the registry. I chose a generic bmp b/c I couldn't find the bmp for the original win2k splash screen. No doubt it's named "45Qt2sZx5.sys" or something like that. The screen stays this way while the user password box comes up. As soon as I enter the password, it changes to this truly nasty bmp. It stays there until the desktop finishes loading, at which point it changes to my normal html wallpaper.
Any other ideas as to what file this is?

Scott McDaniel

Ahh... boy don't I feel stupid.
B/c I have an html wallpaper, I have Active Desktop enabled by default. When I do that, the original wall paper is still there, beneath the html one. Because of that, it shows up briefly before the html one loads, and after it unloads during shutdown.
Sorry for the big waste of time.

Scott McDaniel

Hi all. Is this a BMP someone downloaded? Same thing happened to a laptop at my work. location of file was
c:\documents and settings\"user"\application data\microsoft\internet explorer

I don't know if you've fixed the problem, but there's a program called resource hack You will have to go through some step, Disabling win2k security then replacing a system file that holds all the bmp for starting up and shutting down. the place to get instructions is at
they had the instructions a while back on how to change the start up screen. You may have to search for it on there page. Definitely search for resource hack though. You should find instruction with that program.

I don't know if you've fixed the problem, but there's a program called resource hack You will have to go through some step, Disabling win2k security then replacing a system file that holds all the bmp for starting up and shutting down. the place to get instructions is at
they had the instructions a while back on how to change the start up screen. You may have to search for it on there page. Definitely search for resource hack though. You should find instruction with that program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back