Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This Recordset in not updateable! ????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crownknox

Technical User
Apr 27, 2000
US
I have an Access 2000 database file with only tables. I do not have a server so this file is on a local network computer. Two other pc are connected in the network, so there are three pc on the network. Each one has an access file with different forms,reports,macro's, etc, but each one of them have all of there tables linked to the Access 2000 file with only tables. I have been using this setup for a year now and everything has been working great. BUT in the past month, only one user can enter new data at a time. The error message at the bottom of the form is 'This recordset is not updateable'. I've tried everything I can think of. I need multi users to use this. Any suggestions????

Well that is usually caused by having two tables connected on one form. Which is a query and you cannot update a query.

So you need to rethink the form so both tables are there but on is in a separate subform maybe.
you can make a sub form look like a main form.

Or have a main form and two sub forms (each table in its own
then the Master/Child link for the main form and each sub form would keep the same record up for editing.

DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

Thanks DougP, BUT I don't think that would be the problem. I haven't changed anything and I have been using this file for a year now.
Since then, I copyied the main file with Tables only and pasted them on another computer in the network. I then re-linked all the tables in each filename.mdb to that main file. It worked fine. I don't get it. Why won't it work on the same pc that I have been using for the past year?

Well, something has changed. Doug is right about the problem usually being attempting to update a query. You can update records through a query, but only if you have an unambiguous set of fields. That is usually accomplished by adding all the fields from the joined tables to the query.

Check all your stations and make sure someone hasn't fussed with the record locks on a database or form. That could do it without you're being aware of it.

Uncle Jack

Dear crownknox,

I asume the problem occurred after that copy and paste action.
just in case:
Did you check all the possible multiuser and default startup option for the copied database?
Did you controle all the rights necessary for your users?

regards Astrid

Thanks again, still the problem.
This problem occured before the copy and paste action. Let me re-explain the problem more clearly.

My data file is under a file mydata.mdb. This file has tables only(customers, itemlist, partsdescription, suppliers, etc.). Since I do not have a server, this file is located on a local network computer.
There are three users computers,including the computer with the mydata.mdb file. Each computer has an Access 2000 file with forms,queries, and reports linked to the tables in mydata.mdb.

This has worked excellent for the past year with NO conflicts. All three users were able to access the data at the same time.

For Some reason that I do not know, the users are unable to edit or add new data at the same time.

I moved the mydata.mdb to another computer and relinked the tables and it worked with no problems.(This is the copy and paste procedure that I mentioned earlier and was unclear.
I need this file to go back on the original users computer and work properly, but it just is not happening.

I hope that this is clearer and more specific. Maybe you might be able to pinpoint a problem. I'm apologize for not being more specific at the beginning.

AGAIN I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!!!!

Dear Crownknox,

got a new idea.
Could it be that it depends on how you you are logged into the windows-pc , when you are creating/copying the database or the links. I know this is stored in one of the systemstable and there are rights given to user or owner of a database. It ' s an option in the access environment.

regards
Astrid

Thanks for the help all,

I never found out the problem, but I found a drastic solution. I put in a server and put all the main data on it. Then I formatted and reinstalled software to the original pc settings.

Everything now seems to be working great.
I do think the problem was with user permissions or system settings.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back