Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This program cannot run in DOS mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddpete

MIS
Oct 9, 2003
US
I have a 4.6meg exe file which was downloaded from a genealogy site on the web. When I doubleclick on it, a DOS screen briefly opens and closes. When I open a DOS session and try to run it, it says "This program cannot run in DOS mode". I'm pretty sure its a self-extracting zip file. Any idea how to run or unzip it.

Hi,

If its a 4.6Mb executable and won't run, the chances are it is corrupted somewhat. Winzip will open self extracting executables (if created using Winzip or PKZip) and let you look at individual files, and will also tell you if there are any problems with the file, so you might want to try that.

John

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried both Winzip and Pkzip. No luck.

I did not think XP supported DOS. I have other DOS software and can't use it so I Kept my 98se Hard Drive and purchassed Trios II so I can switch Operating systems.
Jim

Maybe you could try this to see what the initial DOS Screen is saying.

Make a shortcut to your Exe and save it somewhere.
From the target line of the properties of this shortcut, copy the line, and paste it into a Notepad and save it as Something.bat make sure it has a bat extension not a txt one.

Click on the new batch file and see if it brings up a DOS Screen with any error message.

Hi,

Just a thought: Have you tried downloading the file again to see if there was a problem in the download?

John

Kiddpete,
I think jrbarnett is correct. For some reason when a self extracting zip file is corrupted during download windows assumes the file is a dos based program and attempts to open the application in DOS. You then receive the error that you did. You should find that if you download it again you will be ok. Also if you are using any type of download accelerator. Try downloading with out it.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I also know that XP is not built on a DOS base, but it does have the ability to open a DOS type window in response to the CMD command. Using CMD, I can see the message being produced which is "This program cannot run in DOS mode". Also, using VEDIT, I can see that this message is contained within the program. The same results are obtained under Win98se, and after booting into DOS.

I have tried downloading the file several times with both XP and NT, and it always comes down as JOHNSON.EXE. Again using VEDIT, I found text in the file indicating that it is a self extracting file built by Winzip with a 1995,96 copyright. However, the current version of Winzip (8.1) fails to extract the data. It reports that the file is 154 bytes short, then says it is corrupted and cannot be extracted.

What is the link for the download? Let us know and I will give it a try.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Kiddpete,

The current release version of Winzip is 8.1 SR-1 (build 5266). Version 9 is in beta, available from
If however you are using Windows XP, have you tried using the built in zip folders feature to extract it (don't think it will do any better than Winzip, but worth a go).

I assume you have tried gpalmer711's suggestion of downloading with no accelerators in place, to which I add if it is an FTP download (rather than http), use a proper ftp client such as ws_ftp rather than the one built into internet explorer (or your preferred browser).

John

Could be simply that the file was originated/posted as a corrupt file.

-IQ

The file is located at:

and is the item called:

The Johnsons of the Big Bend Country of the St. Marys River - 500 paper pages

I have tried some repair routines, but I will check these out.

I'm afraid I don't know what an accelerator is. I am using the normal IE download function that I use for everything else. Could you clarify?

! C:\Documents and Settings\papp\Desktop\johnson-blue2.exe: The archive is corrupt
! C:\Documents and Settings\papp\Desktop\johnson-blue2.exe: The archive is corrupt

Tried with winrar ver. 3.20

seems that the file is corrupt at the host

As a Lodge Secretary, (one of my functions)to keep track of membership related items is a program written in dos.

I tried many times to run it on w2kpro, XP Home, and XP pro. The program installs,but not completly. I've tried the many tricks I knew of and no success yet. I can open some functions but cannot operate it correctly, errors come up. This same program works beautiful in 95, 98 and 98se. The Microsoft books I have read concerning this perticular problem does not support dos in the command prompt.Or the dos program isn't written for command prompt. Romtec, has a multi drive selector, very easy install, no software, you can run up to three hard drives each having a different OS if you want or do a master/ slave with a zip involved. I think you would like this. two modles available price range 45-69. Not to make a plug for any company but has them also, a little less but you pay shipping. My personal one has the triosII with three different OS. I keep the Lodge PC just 98SE.

I will follow this posting of yours because I'm also interested in the outcome of what you ask.

Jim(nutcracker1955)

I think soaplover's results are definitive. The file is corrupt on the source. You have a true copy of a bad file.

When you install and run this DOS program are you creating an icon where, under Properties, Memory Conventional Memory is Protected, EMS is NONE and XMS is Auto.

GlennA
MIS

No, but I can sure try that. I will post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back