Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This Page Cannot Be Displayed error appearing inconsistently 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyIndigo

Programmer
Sep 14, 2000
US
Hello,

I'm the administrator for an intranet-based application. In my 9 years of administering this app, I've never seen this issue!

SOME users get the dreaded "This page cannot be displayed....cannot find server or DNS error" error for a particular page on the site, while most others do not. There was a time when that page was indeed down, however it is up now. I was thinking perhaps these users accessed the page when it was unavailable, and that got cached somehow?

All users (good and bad) are on IE6.

To date, I've tried on their client machines:
1. Deleting cookings/temp internet files, reboot.
2. flushdns at their command prompts
3. ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
4. setting IE security to low for intranet/internet zones
5. Windows firewall is turned off
6. No proxy server in internet settings
7. Disabled antivirus

Generally, typical settings of the "good" and "bad" users are the same.

Any ideas?

Also, I tried re-registering the IE DLLs (per suggestions in other posts). Still a problem.

The same users got always the same error? I'd check IP connectivy with the server with a ping and try to access the application with numerical IP.

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks Dian, I'll try that tomorrow with the affected users.

This remains a problem. I took Dian's advice to ping and try a numerical IP, same thing. Of note, I ran the C-Cleaner utility on one user. They were able to view the page once, and then reverted back to not being able to view.

FYI, Java and Javascript are also used in this application. Could these be caching bad pages somehow? There hasn't been any Java/Javascript modifications, and again all other users are fine.

Any more ideas?

On the machines/users that aren't working have you tried clearing out the java cache? You can find it at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0 if using version 6.0.x of Java.

Cheers.

Some more ideas:

- Anything strange in hosts file?
- What shows a tracert command to the server (both name and numerical IP)?

Cheers,
Dian

In IE settings for Local Intranet Security check "Sites" and see if intranet sites are automatically detected or not. If a site was manually added in the sites list under "advanced", make sure "require server verification" isn't checked. Also, in the security settings, make sure
IE is set for automatic logon in the intranet zone.

Thanks for the continued ideas. The issue continues, though.

1. I cleared the Java cache
2. The hosts file is empty, which matches "good" users
3. tracert matches on good and bad users
4. No sites are listed in local intranet security
5. Automatic logon is selected for intranet zone

These all sounded promising, and I'll keep them in mind for future issues, but the problem persists.

Do the problem machines have spyware blockers that could be blocking scripts?

Is the Windows Update level current on all clients?

On a problem client, try adding the problem site to the Trusted Sites Zone (instead of the local intranet). That has helped me find security settings that kept sites from working.

Now that I read the blockers thingie, are there any addons in IE? Maybe it's worth trying the no add-on mode.

Same thing happens with other browsers?

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back