Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

this month minus 1 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedgely

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
GB
I am setting up a query to run on the first day of each month, what i want it to do is to return records where the date is within the previous month. I've figured out that i need to firstly work out the month part of todays date and then to return all records where the date is "month - 1". but i can't figure out how to actually do it, any suggestions anyone?

Cheers
Craig

Thanx 4 that - worked a treat

Craig

Yes, it worked because it's February... For January it would return 0...

Month(Date-Day(Date)) will always return a valid month...

Good luck

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

Cheers Daniel
Not thought about that, couldn't get your solution to work but have figured a way round it.
Thanks

Craig

Check out the DATESERIAL function - it can be used to return a variety of useful date parameters:

Last day of the previous month:
DateSerial(Year(Date()), Month(Date()), 1-1)

Last day of Current Month:
DateSerial(Year(Date()), Month(Date())+1,1) -1

First Day of Previous Month:
DateSerial(Year(date()), Month(Date())-1,1)

First Day of Current Month:
DateSerial(Year(Date()), Month(Date()), 1)

Jim
Me? Ambivalent? Well, yes and no....
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

Wildhare, just a brilliant example of how a small tip can help a lot. Thanks, I feel dateserial may be my new favourite piece of code. It will make my crosstab queries self sustaining!

hey that is handy Wildhare, I think your more deserving of the star than me on this one.

yes but code is only useful when you learn about it and how to use it. Your tip to look in this direction was helpful.

I am just reading this as I want to set up a query/report to alert me when an item is 60 days off it's expiry date.

So the query will include Month(Date-Day(Date)) - 60?

No...it will return something between -59 and -48...
Date() - 60 will return what you need.

And now I managed to figure why Craig couldn't work out my formula. In a query, the Date function must be written like Date(). I use the formula in code and the () are not necessary... So, Craig, try it in this way:

Month(Date-Day(Date()))

Regards,

Dan [pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

OK.

I am trying to build this into a query (using expression builder) to display Items whose expiry date is 60 days or less, but some items do not have an expiry date. How do I get around this.

BTW the expression I have come up with is &quot;If «Expr» [Expiry_date]&quot;<=(Date()-60)

But it doesn't look like it works...help?!?

hi, you should try IIf([Expiry_date]<=(Date()-60),&quot;Something&quot;,&quot;Something else&quot;)

Tried that and got an error msg saying DATA TYPE MISMATCH IN CRITERIA TYPE

Wildhare,

I'm in a rush to finish a report for a client before getting out of here to catch a flight and I needed this code quick. One quick search and it's done.

Thanks much.

Jeremy ==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Ok, if you just want a calculated field to tell you wether an item is within your timeframe or not try:

IIf([expiry_date]<=Date()-60,&quot;summat&quot;,&quot;summat else&quot;)

if your putting this in the criteria of your expiry date field try:

[expiry_date]<=Date()-60

with the calculated field option you might want a third option for no expiry date? if so try this:

IIF(IsNull([expiry_date]),&quot;No Expiry Date&quot;,IIf([expiry_date]<=Date()-60,&quot;summat&quot;,&quot;summat else&quot;))

HTH

RivetHed

Many thanks for your help, I am truly grateful, I have spent most of the week trying to get that to work.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back