Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This is the 3rd time I've lost all the sites I previously defined

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarlon

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
US
This is the 3rd time I've lost my defined site list that shows in the drop down menu. So again I have to enter the ftp info, passwords, etc. Where is this informatiion stored so I can back it up er something?

BTW, when I signed up, I had no idea what type of user I was using your terms :O), I'm a web developer who has been using DW for the last 2 years, Thanks Cyn

The sites are stored in the registry under the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Macromedia/Dreamweaver UltraDev 4/Sites

If you backup the whole branch you can easily reinsert it. Can also be used as a backup when you have to reinstall the computer.

This only works under windows though...
allow thyself to be the spark that lights the fire
haslo@haslo.ch - www.haslo.ch​

Windows 2000 pro puts the file in:

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver UltraDev\Configuration\SiteCache I dont want to go to Chelsea!!!

I can't remember where I read this (too many DW books swirling in my head) but I know you can also duplicate the settings when you define your sites. Ahh- just found it."In the Site Definition dialog box, you can select a site with remote information already set up, and then click on Duplicate to make a copy of it. Then, rename the site and edit the local root folder information." (from the Quickstart Guide). If you're not really comfortable going into the registry this might be an option for you. You would set up one site and then just duplicate the information for the additional sites.
Like you I'm still not sure what kind of "user" I am.

Horsebreath, thanks, yes, I was rather reluctant to edit the registry if I could avoid it.

Cyn

Just an update to this thread because I think it is extremely important to backup your site definitions and configuration settings on a regular basis -- Here is a fantastic freeware that takes care of everything for you -- including those of you that use contribute

hope this helps some of you!!

Crispy

Hi all,

I lost my site definitions for the second time, but got them back again after a system restore (only possible in XP, I guess...)

Dutch

Also make sure you have the latest patch/update for Dreamweaver. I know that they made one for Dreamweaver MX which corrected the "disappearing" sites!

I back up my site info using the Export Site. I had absolutely NO problem when installing DW MX on a new computer and I was able to import all the site definitions perfectly without the aid of any outside programs!

It is a fantastic program and I have been using it since version 3. I have Studio MX 2004 with Flash Professional now and wish I had the time to learn more and more!

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back