Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This is not like windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafiki47

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
Hello everyone,
I am new the solaris operating system and could use some help.I have a couple V240's and a couple V440's that are running Solaris 10.Now keep in mind i am a wndows guy, so this command line interface is painful for me.
Ok well i installed all 4 servers with SUN XVR-100 Graphic cards.It only took me a week to get video output. Yes a week.It took a while to get a windows box to connect to my solaris machine to do anything. That in it self was funny to me. You need a windows machine to connect to your server in order to use it.But moving on. So after finding the cdrom, which again was no easy task, i installed the drivers. Hooked up a monitor and wow , no video. So after a few days searching google and various documentation i found some informations that stated i needed to set the output device to Monitor.AHHHHHH.
Ok so now i have video.With my servers i bought a KVM. It is a Belkin KVM F1DE108C. I hook up the servers and can only see one of them. The others are all set to the same resolution, but still i can see them. I tried another monitor, new cables, and also talked with Belkin Tech support. They thought it might be a bad KVM so they sent me a new one. Same results.So right now i have 4 servers that i have to move the monitor plug around all day long and it is really frustrating. Is there anyone that can help me out?

Thanks,
-----------------------------------------------------------
I think my new home page will be this site!

Wow, first off I have to commend you for your hard work and dedication, LOL. Try hard coding the resolution in the OBP off the machines.

[command]
setenv output-device=screen:r1024x768x70 (example change to your needs.)
setenv input-device=keyboard
[/command]

rafiki47;

also you do not need a windows box to get video. You can hook another sun system up to it with a null modem cable and the correct pinouts and use a command called tip hardwire (this is just an fyi).. Also since you do have it working with your windows box you are all set.

ca

coffeysm,
----Try hard coding the resolution in the OBP off the machines.

I have no clue what that means.

cndcadams,
At the time none of my SUN machines had any video.They only thig i could use was a windows machine or a terminal. I have no terminal so windows was the only other option. Yes they have video now but i would like to use a KVN so i dont have to keep moving the rack everytime i use a server

The commands I gave you are what you would type in to the machines OBP (ok> prompt). Use your hyperteminal and connect to them via serial ports. If you can get a login prompt you can also enter the commands like this as the root user then reboot.

Code:
At the ok> prompt
setenv output-device=screen:r1024x768x70 (Set the resolution to the monitor specs.)
setenv input-device=keyboard

From a root console
eeprom output-device screen:r1024x768x70 (Set the resolution to the monitor specs.)
eeprom input-device keyboard

OK i just got around to trying this and still no luck

I telnet into my machine.
Then at the # i type the command 'eeprom output-device screen:r1024x768x70'

This is what it happens
output-device=screen
screen:r1024x768x70: data not available

My bad change it to read:

Code:
eeprom output-device=screen:r1024x768x70

I always get it mixed up when you put in an = sign. If you were at the ok> prompt then you would leave the = sign out.

Why not just use the LOM ports on the servers, these are like the ilo ports on a HP windows server. No need for any additional hardware, just plug it into the network.

I had the same problem when first installed a KVM. Not familiar with that KVM but Sun requires that the monitor port of the KVM stay active at all times. If not, the video will not show if the KVM is not activley connected to this machine at the time of a reboot.

I found that I always had to wait for the system to come up after a reboot to the login prompt and then the monitor stayed after switching the KVM to another machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back