Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This Forum 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at a number of other forums here and around the web over time and the one thing I notice is that a number of questions go unanswered in those other forums especially in forums concerning topics other that Visual Foxpro (i.e. Visual Basic). I hardly ever see that happen here...someone usually responds to everything, even if it is to just say "I don't have a clue!". So here's to this particular forum and to the Foxpro community at large! :)

(Sorry this isn't a true Book/Article Review...more of a Forum Review) Slighthaze = NULL

slighthaze

I don't know if you recall, a few months ago I was suggesting to this forum about designing a web site on Office Automation and API calls (since the current resources on the Internet practically all cost money and I'm tired of pointing to solutions to our members that costs money) and I had solicited the help anyone willing to help, and as it turns out when push came to shove, I was the only one left, I wrote 14 webpages on Outlook automation and gave up.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Mike, that's the point...
I just want to give the idea to let the world (beside the fox's world) knows that there's a place like this,
and people like you guys exist.
People who willing to give help to the of the willing it self...
Salute, to all of you guys... (especially you mike) :)

Agit Permana (08561052915)
Mitra Solusi Pratama, PT

Mike Gagnon,

I would be more than willing to help with a project like that. When push comes to shove I'M THERE! I must have missed your post or not been a member of the forum then or maybe I just brain-farted and didn't understand what you were looking for. My personal email is craig1442@mchsi.com feel free to email me there with anything you may need if you haven't given up totally. I have all the necessary developer tools for working on websites as well (Macromedia MX Suite, MySQL etc. as well as both IIS and Apache servers setup ready for ASP, PHP, etc.) I offer this since I am not too sure what you are working in or even what kind of boxes/webservers they are running this forum off of, guess I could go to the command line and find out. If it is only content you are after or someone to work out some of the automation ins/outs please just let me know.

Slighthaze = NULL

SlightHaze

thread184-401767 (november 9 2002) The day before you joined our little fun group.:)

Take a look at it, and let me know if you are still interested.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

I must say I have never seen such a usefull forum where I find every solution of my field. Even when I dont have question I just go to previous pages of this forum and find something to enahnce my knowledge/skill.
I also appreciate the patient of consultants and their precise answers with refrences

Mike,

I had solicited the help anyone willing to help, and as it turns out when push came to shove, I was the only one left, I wrote 14 webpages on Outlook automation and gave up.

That's a pity. (I guess that was before I joined the forum?). I can't offer to help set up a complete web site, but if you have any material that can be salvaged, I'd be happy to publish it on my own site.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

MikeLewis

You joined Jan10,2003, yes, a few months before. I guess it would seem that I just asked my question at the wrong time.
Actually that offer might even be better, since your site is a well known one in the VFP community. Between that offer and slighthaze's offer to contribute help we might have something worth while.:)

Mike Gagnon

Mike and Mike,
Now you're going somewhere
but don't leave this forum, okay?
good luck for you guys.

Agit Permana (08561052915)
Mitra Solusi Pratama, PT

stars to all of you guys (a helping hand)

agit72

Now you're going somewhere
but don't leave this forum, okay?
good luck for you guys.

No, we are not going too far, just Scotland !

Mike Gagnon

Now wait a minute, no one ever told me this job required that I make a daily commute to Scotland! :)

Slighthaze = NULL

Slight

Now wait a minute, no one ever told me this job required that I make a daily commute to Scotland! :)

Let me know, you borrow my FTP transporter, and send you to hole #1 at St-Andrew's golf course.

Mike Gagnon

ee to Scotland !!! even the thought gives me the shivers...

Mike G. said

I don't know if you recall, a few months ago I was suggesting to this forum about designing a web site on Office Automation and API calls and I had solicited the help anyone willing to help....

Sorry, Mike, I was one of those offered the opportunity of contributing to the Outlook Pages.... the samples were excellent.... Even though I am a major nett consumer of TT knowledge (cf to your and others massive contributions), I feel as if let you down...

As far as TT is concerned I think (like others)that this is an extraordinarily valuable resource.... I am afraid that I don't know of any other Forums and have no basis for comparison, but the format of the Q & A, the tolerance of some posts which are are basic (ie mine) to some sophisticated stuff... the e-mail notification, the FAQs.... heck there is even humour in here....(dour Scots excepted)

I echo Slighthaze's words....

So here's to this particular forum and to the Foxpro community at large .... I'll drink to that...

Thanks to the TT forum creators. Thanks to all....

John Fox

I started learning vfp last year and this forum has been
a wonderfull asset. I want to again thank ALL of the people
who take the time and research effort to answer questions, you are a GREAT group.
I seldom need to ask questions now, but I review the forum frequently for tips and ideas.

He you guys,
actualy I was about to leave FoxPro and aim my arrows on VisualBasic and/or Acces when noticed this forum and guys like Mike who turned me back on the right track. You are all so enthousiastic thanks sofar, keep on!
Flowers from Holland for all of you.!
:) And stars for all the experts!

Koen

let me add my support firstly to the tek-tip techos, secondly to the "super" users of foxpro who assist those not so knowledgeable. this is one of the many of the great resources on the internet for foxpro that i enjoy.

Pete Bloomfield
Down Under

Hi to all,

I am quite new here and more of the silent types though I intend to change that now. I never considerd myself a guru of foxpro but am fairly comfortable and do work my way around. I agree with you people above that there is a strange kind of bond one feels with other people in this forum. Before coming to this forum, I was almost getting convinced that I was a part of the endangered species who worked in Foxpro. In a particular project I was stuck with a problem and this was my last ditch effort to decide if I continue with Foxpro or join the VB bandwagon. I chanced upon this forum and it chnaged my views. I personally love Foxpro as I am from the older (Foxpro for DOS 2.0) days and I feel the backward compatibility of VFP gives it an edge over the others. I am still not very comfortable with the OOPS model and often find myself thinking a solution in DOS and implementing it in the VFP environment. I guess I miss coding the program myself. But this forum is doing a great deal in making me overcome my hurdles. The best thing about this forum is that even elementary questions are dealt with patience and not ridicule which helps grow the vfp community and also encourages other people to interact and not feel shy. Undoubtedly this is the best resource for learning and broading your VFP skills and I thank all the people who make it a point to answer questions. Cheers to you all.
Keep up the good work.

Hi,
My progress is visible after i find this forum and find you.
Before everything we are people.So thank you everybody.
Marius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back