Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This Forum 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at a number of other forums here and around the web over time and the one thing I notice is that a number of questions go unanswered in those other forums especially in forums concerning topics other that Visual Foxpro (i.e. Visual Basic). I hardly ever see that happen here...someone usually responds to everything, even if it is to just say "I don't have a clue!". So here's to this particular forum and to the Foxpro community at large! :)

(Sorry this isn't a true Book/Article Review...more of a Forum Review) Slighthaze = NULL

Hej !
I sometimes visit another forums and you are right, Slighthaze. This forum community is friendly. May be i am stupid but i think that members are my good companions. This forum teach and play too. Our gurus have great knowledge and sense of homour and friend-ship and patience. Kind regards from Warsaw !!!!!
Monika (monikai@yahoo.com)

slighthaze,

You know it is nice, when you go visit a place
and the people there recognize you as their friends...
and willing to help..

Agit Permana (08561052915)
Mitra Solusi Pratama, PT

Slighthaze,

I agree. Before I settled down here in Tek-Tips, I tried a bunch of the technical forums. I found either that the quality of the responses was poor, or the user interface was too difficult to work with.

I do regularly visit two other forums: Ed Leafe's forum, which is very good but not as busy as this one, and Compuserve, of which I have been a member for about ten years. But I spend most of my time in Tek-Tips now (in fact, too much time occasionally, especially when I have 'real' work to do).

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

I agree with everyone's opinion of Tek-Tips (so far), and even though I actually only asked one question (Which I answered myself), I personally have learnt more in the last year, just "observing" other "experts", then I have in the last 14 years of programming. One thing that Tek-tips taught me is how to test code properly and how to research more efficiently.
I have never worked in the past with a team of programmers, somehow being on Tek-Tips, it feels like being on a team, and I can see great advantages to that.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

May be it's silly but when i link Tek-Tips i feel that the members are my good friends (however i don't know about theirs very little) and somebody help me, always when i need it.
I'm agree with Mike. I'm learning at TT very much (all time).

Monika from Warszawa (Poland)
(monikai@yahoo.com)

I agree with the comments above. I do not have the experience most of you apparently have and it is very rewarding to know there is a place where I can ask for help and it is freely given. I hope that one day I may be able to help someone in like manner.

Thanks to all!

George

Totally!!! A great place for beginners. You have no idea how many of these posts I have saved! Many thanks to everyone on here!

Ditto! This is now my first stop in the a.m. and my last at night. Keep it up guys and gals!

Bill Chambers
Fairfax, VA USA

I had a printing problem for maybe two years and couldn't solve it, nor find a solution/explanation anywhere. Then one day I came to Tek-Tips and using keyword search I found the answer! I didn't even have to ask a question...

I just hope they keep this forum free.

Quoting svanels from thread717-372615
"Answering question of others is another way of keeping up to date, also seeing how many ways a problem can be solved, broadens your view. "

There are people at my work who prefer to check their mails or surf Internet during their free time. I prefer to login to tek-tips to widen my knowledge base. This site has been a great discovery to me. I make a point to read all the threads just for the sake of gaining all that knowledge. I have never been member to any other forum and I don’t even feel the need to join any other forum. This is a great site and I hope it keeps running the same way till I gain 14 years of experience and even beyond.

I too have learned a lot over the last year since I found tek-tips. Hopefully I've help a few people out too. I wish my work gave me more time to be fully involved.

mlv1055- with regard to hoping that the tek-tips forums remain free and open to all, I encourage each and evey one of you to click on the "Support Tek-Tips" and give what you can to help out!

I know that what I've learned is worth much more than what I've donated.

Brian

I personally attribute my success as a programmer to the Tek-tips forums. No just to the website operators, but also to each individual in the community of each specific group. Each has an interest in helping others, themselves, and in feeling like we are not alone. So often these days we are singled out and expected to accomplish anything set before us. While it is true alot of answers can come from doing a bit more internet research, is believe it is more than this. It is very comforting to know that atleast we are not alone in our struggles. I am not a real veteran programmer yet but I look forward to being able to respond more and help others. Corporations may corner us programmers in little boxes but we have a place to go for help and to give the same. Peace to all and hope to run into any of you at Devcon.

I agree with everyone's comments so far. I've got a lot of help from people on this forum, not just with particular questions, but also in the way I approach a problem.

I agree with Baltman, make a donation and keep it free.

Thanks everyone :),

Stewart

Just a question, though...

Is it impossible to write this forum into a BOOK or something???

Mitra Solusi Pratama, PT

Hi friends !
Look into thread68-536348 (or others at Office Forum), where xlbo reminds about stars and "payment" for experts

(monikai@yahoo.com)

agit72

Is it impossible to write this forum into a BOOK or something???

About a song? ;-)

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Mike,
I'm serious...
This forum has been everyone's solution.
If someone make a book of it, it would be useful
for people who don't have a chance to know this forum...

Mitra Solusi Pratama, PT

I think - making book is too difficult, because VFP TT Forum is living and changing. Sometimes 'old' questions have 'new' answers

(monikai@yahoo.com)

Mike,

About a song?

Now there's an idea who's time has come. Not only would it teach you the ins/outs of VFP, but it'd have a beat something you could dance to.

As to the idea that the forum become a book...I think we would all be a bit suprised by the number of books that have been written while getting a great deal of their content from Forums such as this. Just change the names of the variables/objects and put it in. i don't fault the authors though...Forums show the pressing needs of the Developers/Users that aren't being currently met. Also, a good deal of the threads/solutions are a little gritty yet, and sometimes it is worth the buck$ for that well polished content, Index, Help File and the accompanying CD. :)

Slighthaze = NULL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back