Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This does not make sense???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob94

Technical User
Dec 5, 2005
US
I have been using a javascript menu embedded into my asp pages for years. I made a change to the drop down menu removing a link and adding one. It correctly displays on some pcs but not all. The weirdest thing is, the shortcut that is still diplaying on the old machine does not even exist on the webserver anymore.

Menu
welcome.asp

changed to

menu
welcome1.asp

I tried deleting all the cookies and cashe from the client machine but no luck. How could it be displaying a menu if that file with the old shortcut does not even exist on the server anymore? How could this be????

Check that the file you uploaded to your server does not contain reference to a local file - like for example C:\mywebsite\mymenu.asp. This can happen if you use Dreamweaver.

Hope you get it fixed!

Jim

I do use dreamweaver, but there is no reference. It works on some PCS but not all. the java menu contains a few files with a lot of code.

i want to explore some ideas before posting it all.

because it works on some but not all. how could it show the shortcut if the file does not exist on the server? mind blowing...

Hi,
On the PCs where the 'old' menu item is shown, does it do that regardless of the user logged on?
Be sure to delete all the Temporary Internet Files from all the Documents and Settings locations ( if a multiuser PC, there will be multiple locations).

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

the cashe file it writes to the pc looks like this:
menu.js
with a refernce to menu[1].js and this is the old file. when i look on the server for it and i serach i can't find it? how is it writing to client cashe with the old file if it is not on the server??

Hi,
It does not have to be on the server since JavaScript is client-side..have you searched the offending PCs for that file (The menu[1].js) one?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back