Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Third party backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

strausy

MIS
Jun 7, 1999
US
Visit site
Are there any third party backup systems (running on NT) that can back up itself as well as other OS's, especially Unix and Linux?

You might want to look at Verita's (formerly Seagate) Backup Exec Multi-Server edition. We run ours on a NetWare platform and can backup NT and Unix.

Backup Exec also has a Microsoft Exchange agent - we back up NT, Novell and Exchange on a rotation schedule to an HP Surestore 24X6 autoloader. Easy install and config. Have heard of issues with Backup Exec and Arcada hardware such as configuring the autoloader and getting it to work! Had used Cheyenne Arcserve for Novell previously but didn't find it as friendly. Maybe that has changed!

Novell is not an option and Exchange is not that important. I'm only interested in file backup and cross-platform to Unix if possible.

I concur, Backup-Exec Multi Server addition is the way to go. We use it to back up all of our Windows NT servers, as well as some stuff on our AS400 Db and our Unix systems. Works very well, the older BE had some problems, which were ironed out (apparently) in the newest version. To learn more about Backup Exec you can go to the Server Rack here in Tek-Tips and find the &quot;Veritas: Backup Exec&quot; forum. Ask away in there :) <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:john@computerwiz.net>john@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href=

I also submitted a post to the Veritas group. No response, likewise from Veritas itself. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back