Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Third party auto-logon utilities for 2000server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskennicutt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2002
US
I know that Microsoft did not include auto logon functionality for Win2k server, but are there any third party solutions to make a server autologon?

I would like to be able to set the server to reboot during the night on occassion as opposed to coming in at 4:00AM before everyone else gets to work in order to simply reboot the server. I figure it will be fairly secure if I use the "lock server" utility in the startup menu. If I can just get it to auto logon after rebooting then it will only be accessible for a second or two before being locked.

I don't understand why Microsoft just arbitrarily made it seemingly impossible? A flexible OS should be as secure or as insecure as the admin likes it.

Thanks!

3 ways:

edit the registry (I don't remember the place but it is on the MS web site)

Use autolog.exe from the nt4.0 resource kit, it should work with 2000

use a free tool called ALO (Auto Log ON for NT / 2000)
It is part of a free set of tools called "Nuts" and can be found at:

C:\Program Files\NUTS\nutsupport.htm

Out of all I recomend the Nuts tools, they are great little GUI interfaces to registry and command line functions.

and they are free.

Let me know if it works for you,
Jay Mosser
jaym@optymgroup.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back