Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ThinkPad boot disk required for W98

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBangs

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
GB
Help, please!
For my sins I have been given a ThinkPad 560 without an O/S. How do I go about installing W98. I've managed to get hold of a TP240 recovery boot disk and can see the appropriate drivers. How do I construct a W98 boot disk? I should add that I also have a PCMCIA IBM ultraslimbay CD-ROM drive which I would like to use. Failing that, I do have access to another desktop. How do I install using the desktop? I've been playing around but I don't really have the expertise. I'm sure someone has done this before!

Thanks, in anticpation.

Go to start, settings, control panel, then add/remove programs, go to the tab that says create startup disk. I can't believe I've seen it a million times and can't think of the name of the tab!!!!! Insert a floppy in the floppy drive and away you go. I always copy format.com from the c drive to the a: that is one of the important files that isn't copied over when creating a startup disk.
Hope that helps,
Cindy

You didn't say which 560 version you had, but here is the link for model 2640 drivers. Make sure you download all the needed files:

You need to make a bootable floppy. I would recommend at the DOS prompt:

format a:/u/s

This way you end up with the maximum space, which you will need to:

copy all DOS drivers for PCMCIA support to the floppy disk and configure autoexec.bat and config.sys on the floppy correctly. Get PC Card Director from:

Copy the point enabler/driver for the CDROM to the floppy and configure config.sys on the floppy correctly.

Copy MDCDEX.EXE to floppy and configure autoexex.bat correctly.

Boot with floppy and CDROM connected to get CDROM started. Format drive, create C:\windows\options\cabs subdirectory (do this to stay within Microsoft OEM install standard) and copy all Windows install files to that new directory. Run Windows Setup from within C:\windows\options\cabs directory.

A little work, but not *too* bad. If that sounds rather intimidating get a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch drive adapter from places like Dirt Cheap Drives (it allows you to connect a laptop drive to a desktop). Remove the drive from the laptop, copy the files to the laptop drive as outlined above, reinstall and run the Setup program.

Please feel free to ask me any questions which may pop up into your mind about any of this. Thanks.

Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back