Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinking of Buying VB 6 or V C++, Which would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spindiggy

Technical User
Dec 20, 2000
US
Hello,
I have been playing around with delpi 5 but I recently noticed that the Student Editions of VB 6 and V C++ are around $100.00. I know the full blown software is expensive but I'm just wondering if anyone here has used both VB6 and VC++ and what do you think would be the best to start with?

I'm moreless interested in building mp3 players but I'm not sure what to start with since I have never used MS Software other than WIN ME so I don't know which is best.

Basiclly, I just don't want to get one type of software and then turn around and say, Dang, I should have bought the other. LOL

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you,
Chris

It really depends on your purpose (btw I hate WinME , I prefer Win98 or Win2k)

trying to compare VB with VC++ is like trying to compare a screwdriver with a hammer, a hammer can do a real good job at putting in a nail, but a screwdriver might not as well.

do a little more research on the languages themselves, VB is typically easier to get started with if you do not have much background in either language, VC++ is considered more powerful and faster when it comes to core math and logic (good for building robust applications that tend to be reasource hungry) If when you meant Mp3 player, in the sence of actually making the Mp3 decompressor yourself, I would definitly say VC++, but if you just mean the front end player, then plug in a activeX control or use MS's own Codec rather than writing the Decompressor, VB would be good.

I do both myself, I use VC++ as the backend and VB as the frontend, also you can get all 6 languages for the price of 2 indivisually boxed tools. (Called Visual Studio)
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Buy Visual Studio Enterprise Edition (VC++,VB,Interdev,VSourceSafe,VFoxPro)

he could just get the Pro version , Enterprise cost much more, and it's meant to be for a company, as it has unlimited lisence. Pro would better suit him finacially.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Thanks KB244,
In response to your first post, Yes, I don't like WIN ME either. I just bought a new e-machine computer and win me comes on the recover disk. It's been a pain to keep trying to use win98 drivers when e-machines do not put the drivers they use on the site.

As for VC, I'm not really interested in creating backends mainly since I'm have been working with the xaudio sdk. I'm trying to learn how to build front ends and since I have taken an interest in mp3 players, I figured for now, I would like to get something that would help with that without a high cost.

Thats why I mentioned the student editions. However, I'll recheck and read what each offer as compared to the other to se if that helps. I like delphi 5 because it's mostly visual and writing the code is coming slowly but it's getting easier.

As I had mentioned, I haven't ever used VC, VB or Visual Studio so I didn't know if they are all visual, done in a console or just plain coding with notepad or something.

Anyway, Thanks for the replies as they have been a big help. Maybe Visual Studio will be something to look into if it fits my needs better.

Thanks again,
Chris

Visual Studio is a package, it comes with Visual C++, VB, VJ++ , Visual FoxPro ,some others.

VB is very similar looking to Delphi, I too have used Delphi and like it, VB would be easier to code than delphi(pascal) but I doubt you could get the same efficiency with VB on a large scale application, if you are interested in C++ , and really like the visual look of Delphi, look into getting Borland C++ Builder.

Visual C++ isnt all that visual, sure you can create dialog and stuff and see them and modify them visually within the reasource editor, but a vast majority is still coding.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com

Thanks again Karl,
I am going to go look at Builder C++.

Until getting into delphi, The most coding I have ever done was with c and c++ on my old P133 running linux. I play around for almost a year with a Mud Server but I never really did coding, Just adding patches and the likes.

I like linux but so far, my modem and sound card are not supported so that blows building an mp3 player on linux out of the water.

Quick Question, What does MFC mean? I would guess that is has something to do with vb or visual studio or something? I have found alot of example source and demos that have makefiles with Developer Studio in them or referenced with MFC so this was the main reason for looking into buying MS developer tools.

Thaks again for your help.
Chris

MFC is typically with VC++ , it stands for Microsoft Foundation Classes.

they're like extra class wrappers to make things "easier" than doing it the "long" way.

One of the downside is that it turns out to have a similar concept to Visual Basic, that you have to distribute MFC files, the same way you have to distribute the VB runtime dll when you create a VB app.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com

Thanks Karl,
You have been a great help. Very much appreciated. I think what I may do is buy a demo cd from Borland with the Borland C++. If I can figure it out and it will work for what I want, Then I may stick with that.

Again, Thanks for all of your help. It's nice to find someone willing to take the time to awnser questions in more detail.

Merry Christmas,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back